Changing Dash Bulbs ?

Amish Elegance

Schadenfreude
Any ya'll ever have to change a bulb behind the instrument cluster. On my way to work this AM I noticed that from 30-65 on the speedo was a whole lot dimmer than the rest of the dash. :doh: How big a beotch is it gonna be to rip that thing out and change the bulb?

Last edited:
that makes 3 of us... and I'd like to change to blue back light while I'm in there... anyone done this??

The bulbs aren't tinted. The dash bulbs aren't too hard to get to, but good luck getting your dealer to find the right part number. No parts houses had them, real oddball design. The bulbs in the hvac/ center cluster are a pit more of a pain to get to, but the bulbs are more common.

P4270173.jpg

P4270174.jpg

i have bulbs to change the radio as well but haven't gotten around to soldering them in.

Dude, get a new radio! Pioneer's are like $100 and are blue...
But it's sexy, I'm afraid white would be too bright, purple it is if I could ever find them...Got any bulb numbers?

if you want white...you're s.o.l. because the stock gauges have kind of a blueish gel on the back of them...so white leds gets you turquoise. Using red leds to make purple doesn't get them as bright as it would otherwise...I thought the 3rd gens used 194 style lights...

Back