changing diff fluids?

Burner

slow poke
When is the best time to change diff fluids on these new trucks? How long can you really go on fluid?

I wonder how soon the OEM stuff should be swapped? :aiwebs_029:

I don't know about Dodge, but the fluid from Ford is synthetic and the owners manual says it's good for life unless it get's water in it

I went to the Mopar Synthetic Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-140 P/N 04874469 and added the additive (a.k.a. skunkjuice) for the differential. I did both thefront and rear at the same time, which was soon after delivery. But I have the Dana equipment under my duallie......

What does the owner's manual say??

If you do not have synthetic in it now you are reccomended to change it every 30K IIRC. If you do change it and DON'T go back with a full synthetic you shall be ridiculed LOL

I'll go have a look. I bet it says either 15k or 50k.....AAM, ya never know?

Burner I do my first change @ 5K-10K and then 15K from then on. If you don't tow much then 25K intervals after the first change.

I think the first change is the most important, I like to know the gears are breaking in right.

It's really easy to do, oh btw the gasket is reusable.

How about Mobil-1 75-140w in the rear and not the 75-90w? Would it channel or do you think it would be ok? Do I need the additive or is it just a hit or miss on chatter with a Torsion Diff?

I use Mobil-1 75-90w and I have never had a problem towing my 10-11k lb. toy hauler. I have read that if you frequently tow heavy you should use the 75-140w though.

It's very rare to ever need to use an additive with these diffs, I have never had the chatter with any of my trucks.

I drained both differentials in my Chev at 500 miles.....With the amount of break-in sludge that was on the plugs, I was glad I did it that early...:ugh:

No I would have no problem using it, matter of fact I may start using the 75-140w next go round.

I installed a diff cover on the back on my 06 at 5000 kms. I was surprized how thin and dirty the oil was. It looked like crap. I change out another truck at about the same milage and it was crap also. Both trucks I installed 75/140 amsoil. No additive required in rear diff, no clutches in the AA axles.