Changing Output Shaft on 47re

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
I'm told this is an easy task but I've never even touched a transmission other than a standard so I have no clue what's involved. So what all is involved with swapping output shafts?

BgBlDodge said:
I'm told this is an easy task but I've never even touched a transmission other than a standard so I have no clue what's involved. So what all is involved with swapping output shafts?

Not easy...if you have a press to compress the 813lb spring in the overdrive assembly then yes it is pretty easy.

From what I'm told you can swap it out without taking the tranny out?

someone told me you just have to take off the tail housing of the trans to get it out.

BgBlDodge said:

That is a true statement, you can unbolt the overdrive section that it resides in. As for swapping, do yourself a favor and have a local tranny shop install it. You will need to pick up a new overdrive section gasket from them as well. Be careful to keep the park rod aligned into the pawl when you reinstall.

Since there is only one shaft left I have this feeling your next thread is going to be titled... Changing Intermediate Shaft on a 47RE. $.02

BgBlDodge said:

Thats the easy part. Then you have to get it apart from the O/D assembly. Putting it back together you have to realign everything to go back on the intermediate shaft. Take the tailhousing off and take it to a tranny shop and have them R&R it.

Opie, I've talked at length with my builder and for what I intend to use the truck for an intermediate won't be neccesary. At least not anytime in the near future. I just got enough money to do the input/output and a few other goodies.

Bobbie, thanks for the info.

BgBlDodge said:
Opie, I've talked at length with my builder and for what I intend to use the truck for an intermediate won't be neccesary. At least not anytime in the near future. I just got enough money to do the input/output and a few other goodies.

No problem. Don't pay more than 40 bones to have them swap it.

BgBlDodge said:
$40? That's it? That ain't nothing.

If you take the guts out of the tailhousing and take it down to them. They shouldn't charge you more then 20.00 dollars. Doesn't take but 15 minutes.

Output Shaft Swap

If you are at the racetrack and you need to change your output shaft fast hey man you can do the whole job in less than 2 1/2 hours. Been there and done that one.

If you are not at the race track you want to make sure the job is done properly and if someone is willing to do it for forty bucks stay away from that guy, Unless it is a buddy and is donating all his labour.

The proper procedure starts with removing the valve body. Please ignore the fools that tell you that you can do precision work without removing the valve body. Once the valve body is removed it allows you to get in and measure the total endplay. That is before you remove the OD unit.

Once you know your total transmission end play, then you remove the OD unit. At that point you take a measurement of your total OD snap ring endplay. Different builders have different tolerances.

At that point you are now ready to take the measurement of the thrust washer and the intermediate snap ring. You do that first simply so you know when you re assemble that you are close to where you started out at.

Building a performance anything whether it is a engine or transmission is about measurements. Now with all the above info. you are ready to dis – assemble the od unit.

Don’t be surprised when you take your OD unit apart that you need a OD DIRECT THRUST WASHER BEARING. CHRYSLER PART # 4740774. You will probably need a OD thrust washer, and a selective snap ring. That is why you do the measurements.

No professional will do all that for forty bucks even if you bring him the OD unit. It is not the proper way to do it. You will not believe how many guys have installed OD units by themselves later to find out they had to do it again because now the OD clutches are annihilated.

Bill Kondolay said:
If you are at the racetrack and you need to change your output shaft fast hey man you can do the whole job in less than 2 1/2 hours. Been there and done that one.

If you are not at the race track you want to make sure the job is done properly and if someone is willing to do it for forty bucks stay away from that guy, Unless it is a buddy and is donating all his labour.

The proper procedure starts with removing the valve body. Please ignore the fools that tell you that you can do precision work without removing the valve body. Once the valve body is removed it allows you to get in and measure the total endplay. That is before you remove the OD unit.

Once you know your total transmission end play, then you remove the OD unit. At that point you take a measurement of your total OD snap ring endplay. Different builders have different tolerances.

At that point you are now ready to take the measurement of the thrust washer and the intermediate snap ring. You do that first simply so you know when you re assemble that you are close to where you started out at.

Building a performance anything whether it is a engine or transmission is about measurements. Now with all the above info. you are ready to dis – assemble the od unit.

Don’t be surprised when you take your OD unit apart that you need a OD DIRECT THRUST WASHER BEARING. CHRYSLER PART # 4740774. You will probably need a OD thrust washer, and a selective snap ring. That is why you do the measurements.

No professional will do all that for forty bucks even if you bring him the OD unit. It is not the proper way to do it. You will not believe how many guys have installed OD units by themselves later to find out they had to do it again because now the OD clutches are annihilated.

Yep $40.00, The question is who's Blood ,Skin,sweat is going to be left on that re-installation, not to mention the cost..

BgBlDodge said:

So you have a builder and are just asking how to install an output shaft. What does it cost to do the input/output? What are the other goodies?

Opie said:
So you have a builder and are just asking how to install an output shaft. What does it cost to do the input/output? What are the other goodies?

I asked for my own knowledge. I keep being told how simple it is so I figured I'd ask and find out. I don't do tranny work. Hell, I get scared pulling the filter off of the VB to change it. LOL I just figured that since somebody had asked how to swap an input that I would ask about the output. That and I wanted to know the procedures and what's involved.