Changing valve spring retainers

Jff24Gordn

FIRE
I am starting to change my retainers to the titanium ones, but... I am a little too late and the keepers have been pulled part of the way through the retainers. And they are stuck there. I have my eastwing minisledge out and so far I have yet to have the spring compressor break the windshield. It has flown around the shop several times, and I am still on the first valve. I dont think the florescent lights will take much more of this.
Any tips or suggestions?

My next plan of attack will be to cut the springs to get hem out of the way.

I do have new springs.

I have only taken the first valve cover off. And the intake is sunk around 0.03 lower than the exhaust.
Maybe the tach needle aint supposed to point towards the low fuel light.:bang

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 55
Well, valve springs eat dremil wheels pretty fast. I just got done with cylinder #2 in only 5 hours. I have noticed that of the first 3, thats all the valve covers I've taken off so far, that the intakes are sunk down more than the exhaust, WHY??
here is a pic of #2 valve stem. The first 2 intakes had this extra groove in them. I dont remember that being in there the first time I put valve springs in it.

Attachments

• valve2.jpg
    valve2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 51
Cheap valve locks will sink when valves are floated. Second thought even good ones will, if pushed. Hope you can get all the metal particules out of your head?

I had a heck of a time doing that on the bench, 3 valves were almost pulled throught. took a lot of hit with a bfh, good luck on the ones in the back. remeber take deep breathes.

Wayne..
Damage like your seeing now is the result of valve train float.I have seen it happen many times on my superstocker and on my buddies Hemi Superstocker.See what most people will not admit or tell you is that once a motor goes into valve float there is only one way to stop it and thats by bringing the motor back to an idle.

There are many causes with our engines and no real good fixes that will eliminate it all.With your keepers pulled through like that I would say it was a combination of a couple of problems.Improper retainers,high rpms,valve length not checked while the head was off for proper install height,too much valve seat pressure and camshaft deflection will make this happen.

With the difference in heights,if it was mine,I would pull the head and have it looked over.My guess along with what your seeing that you may find damage in the valve seat area also.At this point its better to be safe now than sorry later.I would also make sure your oil passages are clear and that they flow to the rockers and rocker stands.If you had some minor blockage and oil was restricted heat would also cause the same retainer problems.

I understand its not what you want to hear,but,I hope you get it figured out and fixed.....Andy

hmmmmmm
valve length. it still has the original valves, could they have stretched, or be the wrong length when pushed that far.
valve seat pressure. ain't that why I put on the bigger valve springs, to have too much?
wrong retainers. the Ti ones should be better.
cam deflection. does any star trek nut have a cam deflector array to help my problem?
Oiling problem. I doubt that was the cause, it was more than likely when I looked down once and the tach needle was almost back to 0

The air wasn't hissing out of the intake or exhaust when I had 175psi on it, so they should be still flat and strait. I dont want to know if they are beat up into the head today. I dont plan on taking the head off till I blow the gasket, and it should be soon with the extra fuel I will have in a few weeks.