Charging Issue after swap

Rollin Coal02

Just got done with my swap... got the truck running last friday but the truck volt gauge is not working properly, i have 30 Volts coming from the alternator.

When i turn the key in the on position with the truck off the volt gauge goes to about 10V and then drops to 0 and says check gauges...

When i drive the truck it will stay at 10V for about 5 min then drop to 0 and say check gauges
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHh1n3NMmWU

i swapped alternators with a good working one off my dads 2002 and still get the same problem, gauge shows 12V and the alternator is charging at 30V

Ya. If you didn't get the cam sensor hooked up correctly, the alternator will not charge.

I had a buddy do the conversion and somebody recommended that he needed a different voltage regulator, he had trouble with that for quite a while. I recommended using the type of alternator i used on my fummins conversion, now it works great he said. Call destroked (1-303-945-7570). Its called a "self igniting" alternator or something like that. There is just a pigtail that is wired up to keyed power and then the primary wire to the battery. There a little more expensive then normal but you can get a pretty big one if you run a lot of electronics and its no more headache.
Good luck

Dodge uses a voltage regulator in the ECM to regulate the alternator. If the ECM does not see a cam signal it will not do anything.

If you do have the cam sensor installed, start checking ground wires.

And that destroked alternator is a complete waste of money. Go to an auto parts store and get a $12 ford voltage regulator and roll on.

Back