Charging issue

gdh11

Army Lifer
I have a 2004 3500 with many mods and after coming back from Iraq this year I had this issue and ended up having to replace the ECU. Now the truck has another charging issue. After going about five miles or so the "check gauges" light comes on and the voltmeter goes all the way to the left. After I shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes I can start it and it will not do the same thing for another 5 miles or so. Can anyone think of anything that would cause this other than the alternator or ECU? Thanks for any tips, I need to move my RV soon and don't want any issues on the trip.

I went thru this and it drove me crazy, It would go back normal after a stop and restart. Bought a digital device from autozone that plugs into cig plug. Found out that when it dropped to 5, it was still charging, so I don't care anymore, most likely a bad volt gauge in cluster.
Rick

check the fuse able link going to the battery on the passenger side, mine was corroded and giving me all sorts of weird ****...good luck

Had this issue on my 04mind and never really figured it out. Got a customers truck with the exact same issue... any new developments on this?

Did a little more research and figured out my problem... The positive battery cable on the drivers side (cable running from passenger side battery) was a little loose and corroded. Cleaned up the cable, tightened nut and everything functions correctly.

Apparently voltage is checked via the drivers side battery on the 03-07 models. When voltage goes below the specified value in the computer it sends a signal to the alternator to start charging. The alternator feeds power to the passenger side battery. When power does not get back to the drivers side battery it will continue to charge the passenger battery, thus overcharging, causing it to overflow, or worse... I hope this helps others in the future. Such a simple problem sure caused some headaches...