Charging system fixes - Will this work?

Sarge1

Sarge
When I was t/s'ing my dead pcm and tracing wires. I saw the pcm completed the circuit for the alternator through the ASD relay. Jumping the relay, Bingo I am charging. The ? I have, does the pcm just tell the alternator when it is supposed to charge, on / off, because on gassers it seems it controls the ign coil and the fuel pump relay as well? When I bypassed the relay, my voltage never went above 14.3 volts. This was with load / no load and at idle to 2500 rpm. So it seems the voltage is still being regulated. I know you can jump the alternators and get 16volts plus from them, but this is not the case. Any insite is much appreciated.

When I was t/s'ing my dead pcm and tracing wires. I saw the pcm completed the circuit for the alternator through the ASD relay. Jumping the relay, Bingo I am charging. The ? I have, does the pcm just tell the alternator when it is supposed to charge, on / off, because on gassers it seems it controls the ign coil and the fuel pump relay as well? When I bypassed the relay, my voltage never went above 14.3 volts. This was with load / no load and at idle to 2500 rpm. So it seems the voltage is still being regulated. I know you can jump the alternators and get 16volts plus from them, but this is not the case. Any insite is much appreciated.

Weird, the alternator didn't seem to be internally regulated... If it works, then go with it. Though I personally would rather wire in an external regulator and not worry about it.

That is what I was thinking as well. Going from the Haynes manual, I dont have a picture of the ASD relay to see what wires are going to 85 and 86 for the signal. I know I can disassemble the block to get the color codes. Both my 85 and 86 are showing 12v so the relay is not working. Which ever wire the Pcm should be sending a ground, its not. So I jumped it and it charges. I have a ext regulator to wire in, but with pcm coming Im not going to hack for nothing. I was hoping one on here would have the OEM wiring diagrams that show relays etc. In short, it charges. I am driving to work today with meter hooked up to be safe.