cheap man's draw straw

kccoon

so after i installed the FASS 200GPH pump on my pickup i found out i was working it to hard pulling fuel through the stock suction out of the tank :badidea: so today i fixed that for $13.33 and built my own draw straw. I pulled the bed then the sending unit to see if i could add the draw straw to the unit instead of drill another hole in the tank. In the end i decided that cutting a new hole was the best idea. so here is the farmerized draw straw.
summer 10 079.JPG

summer 10 067.JPG

summer 10 068.JPG

summer 10 081.JPG

summer 10 084.JPG

Is that a 3/8" Push Lok fitting? Looks a little on the small side. And is that clear hose gonna hold up to the ULSD? Just throwing it out there.

What size was the stock pick-up?

Good job non the less.

I went with a 5/8" pickup tube with 5/8" I.D. hose to the pump. No loss in fuel pressure now...

Is that a 3/8" Push Lok fitting? Looks a little on the small side. And is that clear hose gonna hold up to the ULSD? Just throwing it out there.

What size was the stock pick-up?

Good job non the less.

I went with a 5/8" pickup tube with 5/8" I.D. hose to the pump. No loss in fuel pressure now...

Same here. 3/4" od pipe from tank to framerail, then 5/8" id blue gates pushlock hose.

I used 1/2 puck-up which is 3/4 od then went to a 3/8 push lock and 3/8 hose to the pump. I dont know if the clear hose will hold up or not but i like to see the fuel moving through. i have had a problem blowing the fuses to the pump and i cant figure out why so i wanted to hose so i could monitor it for awhile.

I used 1/2 puck-up which is 3/4 od then went to a 3/8 push lock and 3/8 hose to the pump. I dont know if the clear hose will hold up or not but i like to see the fuel moving through. i have had a problem blowing the fuses to the pump and i cant figure out why so i wanted to hose so i could monitor it for awhile.

In-Cab fuel pressure gauge will help with keeping an eye on things. With the gauge, you will also be able to see if your loosing pressure under WOT, or if the FASS is keeping up.

Good Luck on diagnosing the fuel pump fuse issue.

so after i installed the FASS 200GPH pump on my pickup i found out i was working it to hard pulling fuel through the stock suction out of the tank :badidea: so today i fixed that for $13.33 and built my own draw straw. I pulled the bed then the sending unit to see if i could add the draw straw to the unit instead of drill another hole in the tank. In the end i decided that cutting a new hole was the best idea. so here is the farmerized draw straw.
View attachment 25882

View attachment 25883

View attachment 25884

View attachment 25885

View attachment 25886

I would probably replace the pickup line. Unless you know it is rated for diesel.

I would probably replace the pickup line. Unless you know it is rated for diesel.

X2. It will get weak really fast and then your screwed. Might work for a year, might work for a day, but I would not trust it.

Nicely dont sir. I like the simplicity and the screen wire filter on the end of the tube.

You can't help a FASS no matter what you do to it.....Well unless you put it here
landfills_2112.jpg

Ya they are not much money but i was in a hurry and wanted the pick up out of the shop. and also because im a tight wad and thats money i can put to HP parts

Dropped prolly $500 on a FASS and won't let loose of $30 for a straw? :hehe: Aw, come on guys, let's not beat up the new guy too much. LOL You can get really long, red ones if you get a Route 44 at Sonic, but if you really want some flow, you need one from Braum's. They have twice the flow of a Sonic straw. :stab::rockwoot:

You can get really long, red ones if you get a Route 44 at Sonic, but if you really want some flow, you need one from Braum's. They have twice the flow of a Sonic straw. :stab::rockwoot:

Plus they have that cool little spoon thingy on the bottom!

Seriously that clear hose is going to come back and get ya.

Seriously that clear hose is going to come back and get ya.

I agree. Althought I applaude your rednecktiptude and farm engineering (because I too find unique ways to use things on the farm), hose off the ag sprayer will disolve in constant diesel. That appears to be clear sprayer hose.

Haha thanks guys. I actually was getting my pickup worked on and the mechanic had a TST cr (something) out of his 05 so i asked him if he wanted to get rid of it he siad yes so i asked how much and when he said $50 i said i would take it. so then i had a chip that i could not use but i knew i could sell it or trade it so i found someone that knew i wanted a fass and so he offered me $200 cash and the fass with all the wiring I could not say no to that. Yes it is my daily driver and yes it is way more pump than I will ever need but oh well for now i guess. Im only putting out around 400 hp maybe. Im still new to diesel I have only had it one year Im trying to do things semi right. I just got the tranny rebuilt with all billet parts. $3,800 in parts in the tranny alone. thats the other reason for the cheap draw straw.

Dropped prolly $500 on a FASS and won't let loose of $30 for a straw? :hehe: Aw, come on guys, let's not beat up the new guy too much. LOL You can get really long, red ones if you get a Route 44 at Sonic, but if you really want some flow, you need one from Braum's. They have twice the flow of a Sonic straw. :stab::rockwoot:

Heck a new airdog kit with staw and all is $500 and filters lol

Back