Cherokee Mercedes Diesel

zeeman

This is my 89 Cherokee that I am currently building. It has a 99 Mercedes 3.0 turbo innercooled 24 valve, dual overhead cam diesel. It is mated to a AX-15 transmission with a Novak Adapter and GM bellhousing adapted to the engine.
Frame was extended 4 inches as well as the fenders and hood for oil pan clearence. Will be a daily driver and will run on waste cooking oil and Biodiesel.

Attachments

• P1010050.JPG
    P1010050.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010051.JPG
    P1010051.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010052.JPG
    P1010052.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010032.JPG
    P1010032.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
I do Mercedes diesel conversions in 4x4's for a living. Normally I use the early 5 cyclinder mercedes diesel engines but this one is for myself. I had this engine from another project. The engine is capable of getting 30 mpg plus is this application as well as having more torque then a gas engine. It is also capable of running on alternative fuels. I am still in the fabrication installation stage and have not had it running as of yet. http://www.northwestdieseloffroad.com

I do Mercedes diesel conversions in 4x4's for a living. Normally I use the early 5 cyclinder mercedes diesel engines but this one is for myself. I had this engine from another project. The engine is capable of getting 30 mpg plus is this application as well as having more torque then a gas engine. It is also capable of running on alternative fuels. I am still in the fabrication installation stage and have not had it running as of yet. http://www.northwestdieseloffroad.com

Nice project...could do without the triple post though. LOL

more info on the frame extension? Cherokee's are unibody, you've got me intrigued

Very nice! you do some clean work, but screw all that mercedes wiring lol. Love the 53 panel!

Very nice! you do some clean work, but screw all that mercedes wiring lol. Love the 53 panel!
Not only is there Mercedes wiring but there is trailblazer wiring for the transmission and diff. Have many gray hairs over this one!

more info on the frame extension? Cherokee's are unibody, you've got me intrigued
I removed the front crossmember that runs across the frame rails. I fabricated frame sections to match the stock frame 4" longer. The drivers side is straight out but the passenger side had to go around the radiator. They end up in the same position with the crossmember reattached. They are reinforced at the splice with a plate welded inside.

Here are some more pics of frame extension.
Thank you for the pictures. This morning I looked at the '90 XJ that I have stripped in the yard trying to imagine exactly how to make that strong enough. I'm ready to drop a vw 1.9 IDI in mine. I just need to come up with the adapter plate for the 5 speed trans.

Thank you for the pictures. This morning I looked at the '90 XJ that I have stripped in the yard trying to imagine exactly how to make that strong enough. I'm ready to drop a vw 1.9 IDI in mine. I just need to come up with the adapter plate for the 5 speed trans.

Acme adapters in Portland Oregon is making some adapters for the 1.9 VW. Might have something you can use.

Thanks! I ran across that since once and couldn't find it last night when I was searching.

Did you make your own adapters for the Mercedes diesel?

Thanks! I ran across that since once and couldn't find it last night when I was searching.

Did you make your own adapters for the Mercedes diesel?

Yes I made my own adapter for the 99 Mercedes engine. The early 5 cyclinder Mercedes engine has two companies making adapters for them.

Back