chevy/cummins alternator help!!!

BigDctd

Fuel her till she Blow!!
ok the truck is up and running great. i went to hook the tach up and hook the alt to the battery and im not getting any juice! i am using the factory 2001 dodge alt with a tach pickup in it, when i took it in i told the guy i wanted a one wire setup, he said i didnt need it?? im wondering if thats the problem.

so anyway questions i have the tach pickup wired and the tach wont read anything?? then i have the alt wired to the volt reg, then to the battery and its not charging at all??? im not even getting juice before the reg.

so i was wondering the dodge alt has a two prong plug in on it that i dont know about?? is there something that controls that alt?? i have a wiring diagram for the dodge. the two prong plugin comes from the powertrain control module, one is (generator source -) and the other wire is (generator field+)??

sorry ive looked all over the site and cant find anything on this question! im not the best at wiring, any help would be sweet!!!!

if he didnt wire it to the one wire set up it wont work. you do have to change the dodge alt to a one wire set up

the part is only like 30 bucks and you can install it yourself i will scan and show you what i am talking about but its easy and takes about 5 min to do

dodge uses an external regulator where gm has one that is built internally. i will have to call and get the p/n for it. but its three wires and a couple nuts to put it all together

great!! ya if you could get me that info that would be sweet! trying to get this thing on the road this week, big dyno comp this weekend id like to hit with it! :thankyou2:

if you want i can try and have them ship you one if you want it comes with the instructions on how to put it on. or depending on where you live i could have the guy here that did mine do yours it was like 35 bucks to have him get the part and install it.

here is the instructions that came with mine. sorry they are a little dirty but should give you an idea of what it is and what it takes to install it.

Attachments

• img052.jpg
    img052.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 65
you can get it from a shop in Kansas city, mo or i will try and get the part number and you might be able to find it locally near you. if you would like pm me a number and i will get ahold of you tomorrow afternoon with either the part number or a phone number to order it from.

oh and if i dont answer leave a message or send a text where im working right now i dont get **** for signal