Chevy cummins frame work

JAS3+390

I'm slowly getting started on my crew cab 12v conversion and was wondering... All yall guys that are boxing your frames, how far back is necessary? I'm thinking from the front to right under the cab. Any suggestions???

We did a cummins conversion into a friend's 81 chevy back in 2003 or 2004; we only reinforced the steering box area where it mounts up to the frame and its still doing just fine. Its been used as a D/D and wheeled quite a bit, I dont think he's pulled any heavy loads with it though.

What kind of power is it makin? I'll probably do quite a bit of hauling and an occasional sled pull. Hoping to make around 530hp. I know that steering box is the weakest spot on these old trucks still just concerned about the rest.

Mine is in the 450-500 hp range on the 94 and i havent had to do anything to the frame. Hauled cars and wood behind it with no issues.

fully boxed on the drag truck and it twists like a pretzel and keeps bending the frame. Gonna have to add some more bracing to the cage to stiffen it up a little more.

My buddies '81 only makes about 250 horse, but hes wheeled the heck out of it and rolled it twice, frames still fine...LOL..

bdp- can you post a few pics of your setup in the drag truck? Im starting a conversion on a 81 4x4 and would like to see what your engine setup looks like.