Chinese 1 3/8 Input Shaft

1slowhatch

I'm putting a new clutch in my truck. It's a '95 12v with NV4500 trans. I've already broke one stock input. The truck doesn't make a ton of power, mostly stock with 5x.014 injectors, 0 plate, 3k gsk, exhaust.

I put a 13" valair 500 hp clutch in it that held well, but made the smaller input the weak link. I'm considering going to the 1 3/8 input shaft.

Has anyone run the chinese (cheap) 1 3/8 input shaft? I noticed several manufacturer's offer US made ones for much more $$.

Any input would be appreciated. I don't plan on making much more power (maybe bump the timing some) but want to be able to trust my truck pulling a trailer.

Like a 75-125 dollar kit? I'm probably around 550 to 600 hp. Mine hasn't broke.

I'm telling ya I beat on my truck. 3rd gear take offs. Dumping the clutch beat on it. My 3250 slips hard in 5th. It hasn't broke.

Make sure you get that bearing all the way on and put the oil catch in the correct position you'll be good to go.

Anything china is like playing with fire, i see it everyday stuff come in broken, so really the issue is it's your truck.
It can last like a few here have stated and it can break in a stock truck with 2 inj not firing, thats the china experience of using there stuff, so if you're a gambling type thats exactly what youll be doing.
I use MSP for my stuff, but all the china stuff is hit or miss

Definitely not taking up for the Korean shafts we sell, but I have sold a couple thousand and only seen 1 or 2 break in 800 plus hp trucks, and those were doing boosted launching. But I will agree, China stuff is hit and miss, and Korea isn't far away.

People seem to think if its made in China its made with a hammer & heated with a lump of coal in a back room, Not so any more they have new steel mills new cncs and heat treating facility's. Some of the worst steel we have found was made in USA. Cut up a couple of 24' X 4'' for input shafts and have to scrap them do to bad steel kills the day not to mention the scheduling problems. Correct heat treat is the secret.

renopker You're absolutely positively sure you're being sold US and really getting china and just being lied to.
The difference in prices even after the shipping from quality US steel vs china is HUGE and some steel suppliers are beginning to play games and NOT tell you, caught 2 here, and if you can't see the diff between them when the truck pulls up then it's easy for them to pull it off.

I never had a issue with breaking crankshafts, until the last few, oddly enough the main processes are done in china, go back to US made cranks, and oddly enough they aren't breaking.
china driveline parts i see come thru my door daily, i do not use it at all i don't care about my profit being larger, but i have seen the china work with some, some power and then i have some come in failed being used in pto operation.
Slip yokes breaking, weld yokes here and there come apart, joints with horrendous fit and heat treating all wrong, hanger bearings that are new but seem to be built to 10,000 mile standards, stubs out of spec, everything is junk dollar store parts.

However one thing that is consistent is the finish work, if i mic every us made piece vs every china pirated copy they are all over.

Not saying theyre made with a hammer, but they are off, and they do fail and in my experience the heat treating is all over also, but so is the machining.

The steel we use comes certified for tracking reasons go figure huh. As far as bad parts from China I blame them on the importer & buyer for not demanding 901 standerds low quality and passing it on and excepting it.

Whether you blame china or the pos copying someone elses product, its still a gamble whether or not it'll last.

Now the 2nd issue is how do you know who you're buying it from has a standard and if they're not lying about it to seem better, you know of some issues, but do you think any end user even has a hint of what they're getting or looking at, i could put 3 pieces and i'll bet they wouldn't know or even be able to guess.

I see people believing they have dana spicer stuff daily and they don't, could you imagine them being able to tell the difference between input shafts

I look at the stuff from a MFG perspective dealing with the MFG and or representative and not on a retail or wholesale bases.