Choosing the right clutch for nv4500

Dieselfury52

I am looking at doing a NV4500 swap in my 98 12v. I just wanted to get people's input on a good clutch, power range is going to be 600ish. Any input or recommandations would be great and very helpful! Thank you everyone!

Last edited:
Call the companies that make performance diesel clutches and get there proffesional opinions...

Valair, South Bend Clutch, and Kennys Pulling Parts are widely accepted as excellent clutch makers.

Use the search feature..this in not the first time this question has been asked.

Last edited:
Well it depends on what ya wanna do with the truck....

Sled pull

Street drive

Drag racer

Tow

One clutch will not do everything well, it might do 2 of those well

Street = organic dd or ceramic dd

Race/pulling = ceramic or sintered

3250 12 button ceramic dual disc clutch. Had two of them, they've been great.

I've got a 3250 Street double disk from SBC and I love it, haven't attempted to pull with it so I have no input there, but it daily drives and tows great

Find a vendor you feel comfortable with and trust.

Be honest with them about your goals and use of the truck, then get what they recommend.

Thank you everyone for the great input, I think I Am leaning more y
Towards southbend know alot people that love there's!

honestly i like valair if your going to go single disc.... and i like sb for there street doubledisc.... ive had 2 vailar singles and one double.... ive also had 2 sb dd 3250s and drove my buddys truck with the con oe... i didnt like sb single but loved the smoothness and quietness of there 3250 dd.... as well i love the valair 400/900 single disc for my daily drivers..... they last a long time.... so for your app... i would go 3250 sb street clutch.

I have a valair ceramic dual disc with 1 3/8 input... it's a great clutch, if I shift quick enough at WOT and dump the clutch it will just break the tires lose in any gear that way.

I'll tell you what though, it was a PAIN in the ARSE to get that thing broken in... instead of slipping, it would either break the tires lose (off very very very little throttle) or drop my rev's to 400 rpm. now it works amazing

love the valair single disc i have and my brother loves his dual disc both from valair. their customer service is great also. anytime i have had a question or issue dan was always fast to get me an answer or correct the issue

love the valair single disc i have and my brother loves his dual disc both from valair. their customer service is great also. anytime i have had a question or issue dan was always fast to get me an answer or correct the issue

meh, I had a problem... my kit had the starter spacer, it's bolts and the flywheel bolts left out, I contacted valair and they told me to talk to diesel auto power where I got it...

basically I was left without a truck for 10 days until I got the stuff, and the directions I received didn't show that you needed to put in a starter spacer or new flywheel bolts so I didn't even think to check for them.

if you do get a dual disc or single disc, make absolutely sure it comes with everything it's suppose to the first time...

everyone might just have their day there or they might be refering a lot of the complaints and questions through their distributors to reduce the calls directly to them. Both places were very helpful when i contacted them about their products directly.

Back