Choosing the right turbo

djbikeman

I am planning some upgrades over the next year. Here is what I know I am doing:

Flux 1's
Airdog 100gph
Goerend tranny w/ billet input and flexplate (February)

My goal is reliable power. I will be running the smarty on level 3-5 most of the time, but every now and then I will turn it up.

I am looking for a turbo that will handle 45-50k annual miles, handle egt's well, reduce drive pressure, and support around 500hp when the Smarty is turned up. I have been reading a lot of info and am leaning toward an SPS 62 or HT71. I am looking for something that spools quickly, and keeps egt's at a reasonably normal level. I would be willing to ARP the head and get a modded CP3 if that becomes necessary, but am hoping not to.

I am driving this truck for at least 3 more years (200k total miles), so reliablity is a big deal for me. I'm not towing often and when I do it is 7k max. I am doing these upgrades because in each case, I believe the aftermarket products I am choosing are more efficient and reliable than the stock parts (injectors, fuel pump, Goerend 48re).

Tell me what you would go for and why.

my personal choice is htt customer service is awesome call and ask for dave
and you may not need the 71 series turbo the std htb2 is a 62 turbo also and is pretty awesome but im sure some more people will chime in and give you some better opinions
but either way i would call both companies and talk to them and see what they say and go with the company you feel most comfortable buying a turbo from

You may or may not have seen my Sig..

BDDL with Crazy Larry and MP8 Plus my II Silver 62/12...I'm very pleased with this turbo.....will make a great top turbo for a small set of Compounds later...that's my long term goal.....Spools very fast..Only slightly slower than stock....

With the BD Outlook, I have 4 fueling programs at the flip of a switch from stock to CL.........

Availible 530 daily driven HP and still have stock stix and cp3....

Just my $.02

BTW......I've never seen over 1000 degrees on my POST turbo pyro!!!!!!!

Last edited:
i have a buddy on a 2nd gen 24v with the htb2 450hp no head studs stk head gasket 42lbs of boost thats all no probs been running that for 3 yrs now

HTT 64/71/13 SS.
Call and ask for Dave. He'll tell you that they are selling faster than they can make them. There is a good reason, too. They are one of the baddest turbo's for a daily driver that has nutz, if ya know what I mean.

I've seen these turbo's dyno with anywhere from 430-700hp and EGT's where never an issue.
Mine should be in next week, I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't know 100%, that it was the best turbo for a 500hp daily driver like my truck.

I've definitely looked at the II Silver 62 and that is high on my list, but also the most expensive.

I have to call these guys tomorrow and talk with them. I need more info than I could get from the websites.

Jcummins said:
HTT 64/71/13 SS.
Call and ask for Dave. He'll tell you that they are selling faster than they can make them. There is a good reason, too. They are one of the baddest turbo's for a daily driver that has nutz, if ya know what I mean.

I've seen these turbo's dyno with anywhere from 430-700hp and EGT's where never an issue.
Mine should be in next week, I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't know 100%, that it was the best turbo for a 500hp daily driver like my truck.

Thank you. I have only read a few threads about this turbo, and there is no info on the HTT site that I can find. I'll call Dave tomorrow.

Call the folks @ Industrial Injection, ask for Shane or Brady- The Silver Series turbos are GREAT Huffers, and like it was mentioned good for future twin upgrading.... They are a site sponsor here as well. Unfortuneatly you just missed out on a good group buy. The Silver series turbos have always been flying off the shelves as fast as they can configure them. And they make damned good reliable power too.

Here is their toll free number-1-800-955-0476.

Good luck!

Jcummins said:
HTT 64/71/13 SS.

Damn, no wonder I haven't heard anything from John on mine yet. I'm at the back of the line....LOL The anticipation is killing me. I'm ready to move some air, my stocker heats up quick....:ft:

RacinDuallie said:
Call the folks @ Industrial Injection, ask for Shane or Brady- The Silver Series turbos are GREAT Huffers, and like it was mentioned good for future twin upgrading.... They are a site sponsor here as well. Unfortuneatly you just missed out on a good group buy. The Silver series turbos have always been flying off the shelves as fast as they can configure them. And they make damned good reliable power too.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'll give them a ring. I saw that group buy on their forum. I was a little bummed...:bang

RacinDuallie said:

Good luck!

I second this notion. The Silvers are sweet.