Clicking under cab with heavy acceleration

Mazak

Truck is a SBQC 4x4 2006.

One of my trucks has two turbos, two cp3's, 180 hp injectors and efi live with 5 position switch.

When I accelerate hard with switch on 4 or 5, I hear a clicking noise ,under the cab (I think) , when boost levels start getting high.

Now when switch is on 1,2 or 3 it does not make this noise.

I am guessing my lift pump is insufficient .

What do you think ??

Last edited:
My 08 work truck has a small tick that sounds like it's under the truck when I'm towing and under a load. It's been doing it forever and figured it was an exhaust leak. I'm not worried about it.

Does it sound like something hitting the firewall , like a thumping sound?

If so

Blown headgasket, head is lifting and pressure escaping through MLS gasket.

Been there done that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does it sound like something hitting the firewall , like a thumping sound?

If so

Blown headgasket, head is lifting and pressure escaping through MLS gasket.

Been there done that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No,it sounds like it's underneath .

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge showing if the lift pump is failing?

Any vibration with this noise? U-joint possibly failing?

My '08 had that symptom once. Clicking under the cab under hard acceleration. Almost like a paperclip stuck I a bicycle wheels spokes, if that makes sense?
Next day my input shaft busted.
After rebuilding the 68, never heard that sound again.

I guess it could be the chain in the tcase as well , but it doesn't sound that strong of noise as I have had that issue in another truck.

I'd guess a u-joint as well. hand check if you've got a broken needle bearing cap, if not, grease them and see if it changes. I'm assuming it's the one right out of the tcase.

Does anyone know, can you drill/tap a non-greasable u-joint and add a zert? Not that swapping them is hard, but I'm going to be bummed if I nick that diff seal putting the shaft back in (like I'm really good at doing).

The non greaseable joints aren't cross drilled with the feed passages. That's why sometimes the non grease joints are preferred for strength.

No,it sounds like it's underneath .

Look real close to where the ex manifold meets the head. I can see on mine on the rear cylinder under the manifold it shows signs of a slight leak. And I get a slight ticking sound if under a hard load that sounds like it's coming from underneath.

The non greaseable joints aren't cross drilled with the feed passages. That's why sometimes the non grease joints are preferred for strength.

That's what I figured. These 'pramalube' Spicer u-joints don't last more than two years in the north. :doh:

Back