Cloud of Steam

Bobus

Powerstroked
Got my dads '06 F450 ex-Cab 6.0l stuck in the snow.. While trying to recover it I had a large cloud of steam come billowing out from under the hood on the passenger side. It happened at almost the exact same time as the fan engaged.. checked all the hoses and cant find any problems...EGR Cooler?

Outside of a visual, I don't know if I would start throwing parts at it. Could have just been snow getting thrown around from the fan. Maybe it hit the exhaust manifolds or something similar.

Just keep an eye on it. EGR coolers don’t generally lead to steam under the hood.

It has since gone though 2 gallons of antifreeze..If the trucks idleing it will drip down the back of the passenger side of the engine. but goes away when the trucks shutdown or cool

Check the hose between the oil cooler and the EGR cooler. They will give out sometimes and leak.

Outside of that, there is an o-ring where the EGR cooler goes into the intake manifold. Make sure that isn't leaking or the intake manifold to the front cover (above the water pump right next to the oil test port.

That is where I would start.

Back