Clutch master/slave options??? nv5600/nv4500

F8L GTO

Looking for clutch hydraulics options. From some research, I found that I have roughly 3 options. My truck/project is a 24v Ppump mated to a nv5600 with an older southbend DD 3600.

1. Stock unit from rockauto.com, etc, etc - I dont like the plastic line, and non serviceable pre-bled unit. Id like to be able to bleed it, and swap fluids if need be. $150 is reasonable to me.

2. HD unit from SB or others - Again, non serviceable, but braided steel line, adjustable rod, and heat shielding is a plus. $330 is less reasonable. Im having a hard time convincing myself this is a good deal. This is not a knock on SB. They have been very helpful.

3. Make another combination work. There is some info on 4btswaps about the factory slave bore/stroke but the fitting on the factory slave needs adapting so a regular AN or pipe thread line can be fitted. I was thinking about using a generic Tilton master and an OEM slave (not necessarily Dodge) that can be easily fitted with a steel braided line and a bleeder valve.

Link to 4btswaps.com discussing the factory master/slave combo.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-630.html

Looking for some enlightenment/education/guidance on this one. Maybe the HD unit is good deal and I need to adjust my expectations?

I put a south bend hd setup in mine when i put dd 3850 in works great. I wish I had done it along time ago with SB single. No problems its been almost 2 years.

We have probably 50 south bend hydro assemblies out running on all different years and we have never had a failure period. The adjustability is worth alot IMO. Also when we used to run smaller clutches and stock hydros we would buy it for a V10 with nv4500 and it was considerably cheaper, it still had no bleeder but it did come with the hard line with the heat shield on it. I wish I could remember part numbers and pricing but it may be something worth checking on.

I put a south bend hd setup in mine when i put dd 3850 in works great. I wish I had done it along time ago with SB single. No problems its been almost 2 years.

Opps I meant DD 3600. Brain fart

Back