Code 2149

firedude 159

Fireman
New here... I've been on another forum with no results...to date this is what has happened. 2003 dodge 2500 4x4 ALL STOCK. I have code 2149. I replaced all injectors, only to have to replace them again with a different brand due to the first ones being junk remans. After installing the second set, I had to replace 2 of those. Started truck and it had a serious Lope and slight fuel knock on take off. After a day or so the lope went away but still had slight fuel knock. I took it out on the road and stretched it out. Truck ran great, no smoke of any color. Check engine light came on after it hit operating temp, lost 3 cylinders, and limped home. Checked codes, have 2149 again. I have replaced the wiring harness for the number 5 and 6 injectors. I have ohmed all harness's from the ECM to the injectors All have checked good. Does ANYONE have any insight? I think my next step is to replace the ECM???

it can also be in your harness...

mine will throw that code once every 6 months or so. clear it and it never comes back. strange

WUnderwood, I got both sets at autozone. the first ones were GP Sorensen, the second set was standard automotive. SixOhh, I have ohmed and ohmed the harness, I took the truck to a local diesel repair facility, and they ohmed everything as well. they told me in the beginning that it was possibly a bad injector breaking down when engine was at operating temp. That's why I changed them. They also replaced 2 wiring harnesses from the rocker box to the injectors on 5 & 6, and here I am back to square 1......

man, that sux. it will test your patience im sure.

come to think of it.... 2 times i have gotten that code, i was pulling hard.

UPDATE--- I'm once again removing injectors and this time replacing them with BOSCH, not from Auto Zone......
Also going to replace crossover tubes. We'll see what happens. I will update later.....

Update....I installed reman bosch 503's with upgraded cross over tubes. The truck now runs although it has a very slight lope at idle. Lay a hair on the throttle and it goes away. Anyone have a clue on this???

have you checked to see if any possible cylinder damage occured during your constant injector issues? may have a scared cylinder...

update on the update

no cylinder damage. truck started and ran great this morning. Now I'm back to square 1....p2149...... when truck hit 200 dg today, started running on 3 cylinders..cooled off and ran ok. truck got warm and did the same thing. now it wont come out of it. ECM?????

Ok Guys, here we go..... took truck to the dealer and they suggested $2500 worth of parts that didn't amount to what kind of problem I'm having. Tech said he heard these may cause the issue I'm having....I called another dealer out of the area and explained issues to tech and he leaned toward the ecm setting 2149 code. The dealer that has the truck wanted to replace the valve cover gasket because he heard the wires may be chaffing there....my truck is a 2003.... that gasket wasn't used til 2004.........

A dealers fav thing to do is feed u sh@t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk el jefa

Been awhile since last post.... Had ECM replaced at the dealer, truck is still running great. Hooked up travel trailer the other day, weighs about 8000#, pulled it like it wasn't back there. Still has lope at idle when in neutral, Cummins man and dealer said it was ok. Dodge said they don't know if the oversized crossover tubes or the new ECM and subsequent flashes are the cause but it didn't hurt anything.

Back