cold air intake???

smokeycummins

I was wondering what is the best cold air intake on the market?

01 CTD 6-spd., edge juice, fass, 4" exhaust, soon injectors... tow rig

AFE claims 820 cfm, S&B claims 527 cfm, stock is 377 cfm???

also is a dry filter better on a diesel than an oiled filter? Ive been told S&B is good becouse it stays cleaner and blocks engine heat, what do you think?
what do you think about bosch 300's?

I have ran the AFE Stage 1 and 2,the BHAF setup on a Mallory Mount and a AEM Dry setup.The best one I have ran for power was the AFE Stage 2 system with the inverted top(Mega-Cannon) filter.In back to back dyno runs on my 12v it was worth 13hp over the AFE Stage 1 with the same type of filter.The AFE Dry filter for the Stage 2 system took 12hp off of my dyno roll because how well it filters and I say it would be somewhat restrictive.I do use it in the wintertime here in Central PA due to how well it does filter to prevent any problems with the added threat of road salt dust.

The BHAF setup and the AEM Dry were no match to the AFE Stage 2 when I did my test as both are somehwat restrictive.I do like the way AEM has the polished tube and the taller shield to seal the system though.

The best thing I can offer you on air filter systems is to find one you like that fits your budget and run with it.They are like food,many different flavors and no two persons will agree on whats best.

On the Bosch 300's...
I have ran a set of them,they are ok but there are other injectors which are a tad more efficent and can give you the same results.The 300's are alot like the 370's,do a nice job and can make some power but get little or no respect anymore due to the influx of aftermarket companies making more efficent injectors as cheap.Remember though,the 300's are for the older 12v motors and not the 24v motors........Andy

The most flow is best (of course). AFE is fairly popular. I am running an AEM Brute Force intake - it is a dry-flow filter. I chose this because of their claimed filtration capabilities and I'm not too fond of the oiled filters. AEM also has a product line with larger filters - I think its called 'workhorse' or something similar. That's my $.02

The best one I have ran for power was the AFE Stage 2 system with the inverted top(Mega-Cannon) filter.

I've looked for this intake and only found the mega cannon for 3rd gens.
I need a intake that will flow around 1100cfm's, it's for a Silver Bullet so I would like something that will really let it breath/Scream:evil

Thanks for any help or input

I will look for the reciept with the number on for you tommorrow.Its does scream and works very well.......Andy

Agreed. AFE Stage 2 is the way to go. It sounds, looks, and feels terribly impressive.

Thanks but which filter flow's the most from the stage 2 kit (yellow media or blue media)? I would assume the pro guard 7 filter (yellow filter media) is great but also has more of a restriction over a higher (performance) filter.

My rig is a street truck, I don't use it for work or drive in any dirt roads so it won't be exposed to a lot of dust & dirt.

I got the pro-guard 7, personally... not sure how much difference there would be?

Either way, I gaurantee you'd be impressed with it. The torque booster tube is completely massive, and looks astronomical. Right off the bat I noticed better turbo response (also more drone, but I like that, personally). I also noticed 1.6 MPG better economy (hand calculated, over about 3000km). I don't have a pyro, so I could tell you what the EGTS did.

My S&B works very well. If I drive past a building with passenger window down you can hear it suck in all the air that it can possibly cram in the turbo. I'm very pleased with it. My dad also has one on his 3rd gen and it sounds like it's getting all the air it can into it also.

Ive been told that oiled filters let oil into the intake on turbo set ups is this true, and does it affect the turbo or sensors? do I need to clean my IAT or MAP sensors?

is the s&b an oiled filter?

I have an AFE intake, but I am using an Amsoil dry filter... I think its a 4510? I know its 4 something 10, lol. All I have to do is blow it out to clean it and it filters better than the oily pro-guard I had on it before. I would look on Ebay for used one cheap and just by a new filter, thats what I did with mine...

Back