Cold start.

BigBadDually

So it was pretty could up here in British Columbia last night, my truck sat for about 12-13 hours in -10 conditions unplugged, wasnt planning on going out this morning but when i went to start it i cranked it over and it fired up and died twice so i gave it a bit of fuel and it fired up but was running rough while i was giving it fuel, let it come down to an idle for a couple mins and noticed a fair bit of smoke mostly grey with a bit of blue. I bumped the idle up to around 1100 after 2-3 min and the smoke cleared up withing another 3 min.
How much smoke is normal for a stock truck in these conditions? I have the afc full forward and the stock plate FF and why would it have been running rough when i first started it with a bit of fuel? i was just giving it enough fuel to bring it up to 1000rpm and then let it come down to idle but it almost seemed like it was missing.

Thanks.

Normaly i have my truck plugged in on a timer so i dont see this behaviour out of it in the morning.

Dont feel bad, I have a friend who has TONS of white/gray smoke in the AM...regardless of temp.

Did the same thing last weekend, didn't plug mine in because I had no intentions of going anywhere. Next morning(4 degrees) took me 20 minutes to get it to fire and then to make things worse every house for 100 yards was ingulfed in a cloud of white smoke.

yeah it got below 0 this morning and the cummins gelled up on me. Pulled it to the shop and pulled the filter and it was full of crystals. Put some fuel and Amsoil Cold Flow in it and heated it up to 150* and she ran great after that.

down here in texas, it never gets below 22-25*. So, we aint gotta worry about all that kinda stuff. Heck, my truck doesnt even have a place to plug it in at??? There is a freeze plug where the heater thing normally goes.
AND,...... I only have one battery in my truck. On the coldest mornings, it fires right up. I have never had two batteries in it as long as i have had it.

Lance

mines coughed a few time in the 10/19 degrees states as well as low 20 but a min or so an shes ok
but that lame ass fuel filter houseing will leak if temp goes under 30 u can bet on that that is my nexrt project replaceing it with a new spin on filter /w separator

BigBadDually said:
So it was pretty could up here in British Columbia last night, my truck sat for about 12-13 hours in -10 conditions unplugged, wasnt planning on going out this morning but when i went to start it i cranked it over and it fired up and died twice so i gave it a bit of fuel and it fired up but was running rough while i was giving it fuel, let it come down to an idle for a couple mins and noticed a fair bit of smoke mostly grey with a bit of blue. I bumped the idle up to around 1100 after 2-3 min and the smoke cleared up withing another 3 min.
How much smoke is normal for a stock truck in these conditions? I have the afc full forward and the stock plate FF and why would it have been running rough when i first started it with a bit of fuel? i was just giving it enough fuel to bring it up to 1000rpm and then let it come down to idle but it almost seemed like it was missing.

Thanks.

Normaly i have my truck plugged in on a timer so i dont see this behaviour out of it in the morning.

That's no big deal. The older trucks don't really like the cold but they still run fine - just need a little love is all. When it got really cold in AB (when I lived there) I had the truck plugged on a timer along with 2 battery warmers - 3x in 3 years at -45 it didn't start no matter what I tried. Out here on the coast, no big deal.

If your smoke is black under idle conditions you have something wrong and if you have white smoke under acceleration you have something wrong. A little smoke during start up is as I said no big deal. Just remember that they (even the old ones) don't like to idle. It is better to start off real slow and put the engine under load (or get an exhaust brake or high idle on there) and build up some heat there.

Cheers