cold tranny question?

adambosco

I'm curious on how many of you guys have shifting problems when your truck is cold? When I start to drive my truck in the morning it doesn't like to shift until I let off of my throttle. If I don't let off of the throttle it will climb up to 3000-3500 rpms or whenever I let off the throttle. I plug my truck in all night and it will still do it and its like 40* outside at night. Once my truck is warm it seems to shift just fine. Is this normal or not?

My Tranny does the same thing, recently I have been noticing it seems to slip slightly between 1st and 2nd. But once its warm its fine. I would like to hear some input on this too before I stick a new tranny in it.
Sorry I can't help you there.:banghead:

Not sure but I would be willing to bet that your fluid is draining out of your TC over night and its filling when its being drove. When you start your truck put it into Neutral and let it fill for a min or two see what happens. If you have a after market VB then you can leave it in park. It happens to my wife durango.

Transmission Fluid Temperature

5R110W has a feature called "Cold mode". If TFT is below 0 deg F, the transmission will limit operation to 1st, 2nd,3rd, and 4th gears (5th and 6th gears are disabled). Cold mode remains in effect until TFT rises above 0 deg F or vehicle operation (based on shift times or heat generated by driving) indicates that TFT should not be in the cold mode range, at which point normal operation is enabled.

Direct clutch apply times cold have forced the addition of this cold mode (DC takes excessive times to apply below –10 deg F), and require revisions to TFT failure management – if TFT is failed at start up the transmission will be
placed in cold mode and remain there until TFT is no longer failed and above 0 deg F or the vehicle operating conditions listed above trigger an exit from cold mode.

Once out of cold mode a TFT failure will not trigger cold mode (can only go into cold mode once/power-up); but this
mode is new to 5R110W.

You may have an issue with the fluid temp sensor or the harness. It will always shift a little different when it is cold and it will hold gears longer to help warm things up.

If the converter drained down overnight which was a problem back in the 4r100 and E4OD days then you would get a delayed engaugement of drive or reverse.

Thanks for the replys everyone. Yeah my truck is at the dealer for this problem but they are trying to tell me its normal. I can understand it doing this if it was cold out but its not cold anymore. When ever I get my truck back from ford I will let you guys know what they did to fix it if they fix it.

Well ford don't know what the problem is. The tranny tech says its a drive ability problem and another tech says it a tranny problem so who knows when I will get my truck back. Maybe I will send them my truck payment since they are the ones driving it.

If that truck is an 05-06 Have them check the oil supply line to the turbo and the vgt solenoid. See if they will replace it with the updated solid tube. And also look to see what the ebp is doing. If its shorted or biased a little one way then it will mess with the back pressure.