Coming to the darkside...maybe

01TxAg

I've got an '01 f350, and it's getting up in miles (240K). I've pretty much tapped it out on power, and given the age, I'm thinking about getting a dodge. I had one before('98.5) that was in the shop about 80% of the time, so I'm a little nervous. About 50% of my miles are towing 20-25Klbs (total weight). If I were to get an '04.5 up, how much hp could I safely get to considering what I do with it. I'd have about $4k to spend on mods, so after reading around, I'd figure:

Intake, exh., guages as always
smarty
boost fooler-does the tuner handle this?
water/meth
CR dual feed line
modded cp3???--would I need it?
turbo??--how much can the stocker handle?

It would be awesome to have 500hp on tap all the time, if it would last. Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have an early 06. My stock turbo with Smarty on #9(top program) puts the EGT at 1380 at then end of the quarter mile going 105. The Smarty does do boost fooling. You probably dont need a modded cp3 or dual feed line for a Smarty on #9, supposedly on #9 it is around 430rwhp. My rail pressure sits at 24.0k on #9 and I am using the stock cp3 and stock lift pump.

If you do an auto and it is in mint shape, you should do at least a VB and TC, if it is worn plan on the whole thing. A manual will require a clutch, so either way there goes a large part of your $4k.

Try a Modded Rail before moving to the Modded CP3.

Last edited by a moderator:
you will not need to modify any of the fuel system except the lift pump to achieve 500 HP on the 04.5 and up trucks

I agree with lmills, you don't need anything but lp upgrade in fuel system. A turbo will certainly help with EGTs for towing that load.

air intake, exhaust
Lift Pump
TC/Transmission or Clutch
Turbo your choice
Smarty

Mine is in the 580-600hp range with the mods I have. Still have stock cp3 and injectors.

That's almost not fair it's so easy. I would get a manual, and just wait till the clutch burns up before getting a new one. Is the lift pump the one in the tank, or is that a transfer pump? Where do you get bigger lift pumps? I haven't seen it on any websites that I can remember. Thanks for the info. It's gonna be hard to part with the ford, but eventually I'm gonna

01TxAg said:
That's almost not fair it's so easy. I would get a manual, and just wait till the clutch burns up before getting a new one. Is the lift pump the one in the tank, or is that a transfer pump? Where do you get bigger lift pumps? I haven't seen it on any websites that I can remember. Thanks for the info. It's gonna be hard to part with the ford, but eventually I'm gonna
Some .2004.5 had the engine Mount Pump, Late 04.5/05 and up In tank,03/04 engine mount Pump,The lift systems available are Many.. I still have the Engine mount Pump, Just turned 80k, When it go's I will replace with another Engine Mount... If you Plan on extreme HP 550 plus the stock system won't support most aftermarket HP...When I decide to push more than 600HP I will build My own lift system...

I made 505hp on a stock lp and I do tow on the occassion. But I did have to do a turbo and clutch.

525/996 on stock lift pump and injection pump, with ppe/tst, clutch and II Silver Bullet. Temps stay pretty cool, never past 1300. Now have a FASS and a Stage 3 pump on the way. Injectors probably next limit.