Common problems

hpprose

In the Dark
Hey guys and gals,

I'm doing some research on a story I'm working on and could really use your input. What are some of the common problems with these engines and what are the fixes?

Where are the performance problems/barriers? From an earlier thread, I found out the pistons don't seem to last above 800 hp and as with any brand, the transmissions seem to be a problem. But; what else?

I’m a Ford Person and don’t know much about the Duramax. With a Power Stroke (6.0) the performance problems areas are EGR, head gaskets, back pressure, rods, injectors etc.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Chad

Tie rods snap. Stock rods don't do 550+ for very long, if at all. The 01-03 injectors are especially susceptible to dirty fuel. LB7 injector seat cups can loose their seal from excessive cyl pressures. I know there's more, dieselplace.com should have a sticky with the common problems for each engine model.

You can buy injector hold downs to fix the problem, and what pistons seem to work for a 1000 RWHP duramax are LB7 Pistons, with the lip taken off, the bowl reshaped, and taken down to 14:1 and ceramic coated. As for the trannies, try a suncoast with all billet everything and extra clutches, and a custom designed converter

Any engine problems or known issues?

I'm not so worried about the truck as much, more just known issue or problems with the engines themselves.

Like, excessive back pressure, injector lines cracking, head gaskets, intercooler lines that restrict flow, etc...

Hmm engine problems, well the 01's had head gasket issues (currently blown right here) And that is about all I could think off

Dieselson said:
You can buy injector hold downs to fix the problem, and what pistons seem to work for a 1000 RWHP duramax are LB7 Pistons, with the lip taken off, the bowl reshaped, and taken down to 14:1 and ceramic coated. As for the trannies, try a suncoast with all billet everything and extra clutches, and a custom designed converter

LB7 Pistons where did you get that info from? 14:1? Ceramic coated? WTF? You need to get your facts straight Drew!!!

stock rods will do 550hp. IMHO over 600hp is where you are playing with fire.

Pretty much anything with a single CP3. You did not hear of many failures before dual cp3's came out. Once dual cp3's came out you started hearing of dmax's dropping like flies.