Common Rail in a 2nd gen.

Ackerdiesel

I have searched unsuccessfully so figured id post this question. Found a CR and 48 re dirt cheap. As well as a 2nd gen rolling chassis. What would I need to get the common rail and 48re to work in the 2nd gen and still use the 2nd gen cluster and etc?

Ryan

Give Destroked a call. I was gonna do the same thing and he said it is easy, and you could go the stand alone ecm if you want but not needed.

2004.5-2007 ecms control the trans.
2004.5 uses a TV cable and 2005-2007 use a TV motor while 2006&2007 will give you efilive tuning capabilities for the motor and trans. Your dash will rely on the 2nd Gen pcm and sensors.

2004.5-2007 ecms control the trans.
2004.5 uses a TV cable and 2005-2007 use a TV motor while 2006&2007 will give you efilive tuning capabilities for the motor and trans. Your dash will rely on the 2nd Gen pcm and sensors.
2003 is the only year that a common rail used an external PCM.

My old drag truck was a 94 with an 03 cr. I you only need 3 wires hooked up in order to make the motor run. I went with electric fans on mine and kept my stock pcm and made all the sensors work with the 94 harness. Cut an extra 2 groves in the balancer and the factory tach works. Pretty simple. If you have any questions pm me or bean from beans diesel. I think I still have all the wiring pin outs and such.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Inline6 do you remember how you could go about connecting into stock 2nd gen gauge cluster? Saw above about tach but what about water temp and oil press. And etc?

Ryan

Engine is an 05 so the trans. Does have the tv motor. Engine/trans. Was bought by a friend today so now I just get to build for him. Will have a pcs and he wants a Zeus standalone but wiring in gauge cluster will be fairly straight forward?

Ryan

Engine is an 05 so the trans. Does have the tv motor. Engine/trans. Was bought by a friend today so now I just get to build for him. Will have a pcs and he wants a Zeus standalone but wiring in gauge cluster will be fairly straight forward?

Ryan

If you keep the stock wiring and such then the gauges will be easy. Just move the oil, temp and tach sensors to the CR and it should work fine.

2nd gen sensors with 3rd gen wiring harness?

Ryan

you use a 2gen pcm with second gen sensors. also use a 3rd gen ecm, and 3rd gen ecm harness. take a bushing on top of the exhuast manifold where one of the plugs is at and your stock 2nd gen water temp sensor will go there. take a bushing with a tee in it and that goes between your turbo oil supply line and housing. not sure what else you need. volts is a no brainer.

Back