Complete noob... Guess I've turned to the dark side

Josh40601

Well gents, I finally decided I would like a diesel truck. I have been looking on Craigslist and locally since November, and have found nothing. Thanks to another forum (PBB) I stumbled upon this one. I'm sure most virgins dive in asking a **** ton of useless questions answered by 300 other threads, I will do my best to not do this.

First off, I don't own a diesel truck yet. I'm in the market now, and have narrowed down what I'm looking for. Mainly because of this site.

I have heard many good things about all the 3/4 and 1 ton option trucks, but I am looking for a good looking tow rig. So main concerns are fuel mileage and dependability.

The tow rig I have now is a 02 gas HD 4x4 that tows my explorer with no issues. Other than fuel. I'm averaging 8 mpg around 70 mph. On a 400 mile round trip, that adds up real quick.

So the setup I think I have decided on is a Ford or Chevy truck, with a cummins 6bt and slush box. I figure with a couple add ins like exhaust, timing, programmer, and intake, it will allow plenty of power for my needs, and still allow me to get 16+ mpg.

I will be digging through Some builds, learning from others, and hopefully make my purchase from the site.

Good lord sorry about the mileage my huge truck gets 20 mpg towing 32,000 pounds about 26 unlaiden ithink your on the right page with the 6bt hella fuel efficient yet still has the power mine only has a max speed of 80 "gears and tires" not men't to tow 4.56 and 37" tires best of luck

Thanks boss! Those numbers are right on track with what I'm looking at.

Any info on your rig? Other than tires and gears that is.

I'm curious... and don't take this the wrong way...

but why not a Dodge with a Cummins in it? you could lay down $10k and have a great tow rig tomorrow vs. months and months of building

Ah, I knew this question would pop up.

Its all regarding price. There were a couple Fummins in the 8-9k range. Most of the Dummins were 10-14k. A couple under, but those had over 200k.

If I could get a mildly modded 4 door 98-02 for under 10k, I'd likely go with that too.

Just seems like you get a bigger bank for your buck with one of the conversion trucks

Good lord sorry about the mileage my huge truck gets 20 mpg towing 32,000 pounds about 26 unlaiden ithink your on the right page with the 6bt hella fuel efficient yet still has the power mine only has a max speed of 80 "gears and tires" not men't to tow 4.56 and 37" tires best of luck

You sir have a lot to learn. The first thing you should know is your outrageous claims won't be believed over here.

To the OP good luck with whatever you do but I agree with forrest.

Some don't get 20 empty. Your full of it

from phone

Thanks for the info gents.

I definitely am not in the market for junk. I'd drop a little more for a very nice truck, then spend a few pennies less for a pile of ****

Cool story Bro!

Thanks for the info gents.

I definitely am not in the market for junk. I'd drop a little more for a very nice truck, then spend a few pennies less for a pile of ****

A lot of guys subscribe to the "built not bought" mantra, but I'd much rather let some other poor schlub spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars building something and then buy it from him when later for pennies on the dollar.

BUT, just because you've seen a few "fummins" or "chummins" out there for $6-9k, doesn't mean you'll like what you see when you look at one.

Every one of those trucks was either a cobbled together mess, a single cab, a cobbled together mess of a single cab, or was "almost" nice, but still needed weeks of finishing work and $2-3k in parts.

Every NICE conversion truck I've seen that I would consider buying has been at least in the high teens, and for that kind of money, I'm going to go buy a ~2007-2008+ that I can easily buy for below insured value.

agreed^ ive seen alot of crap that people claim is a quality built conversion of some kinda and id be scared to get any where near it. perfect example, carwhisperer's (banned) cobbled shortbed conversion. for your first one id stray away from the conversions.

Thanks for the info guys. This is all good info.

I know you all will likely roll your eyes, but I'm looking for the 7-8k range. Body work is no biggie. My dad owns a body shop. So if I could find a truck with a few dents and dings but a nice plush leather interior, that would be nice. 4wheel is not needed, but wouldn't mind it.

Thanks for speaking the truth on these trucks. And I'm not 100% on the cummins. Just want a fuel efficient tow slug. Duramax, stroke, or cummins. I'm not picky

And I definitely am not the "built not bought" type. Too much money flushed down the drain on previous vehicles. I'll much rather take someone else's baby and add my own flavor to it (paint and body) but leave the rest alone

the truck you looking for is really common, try a 7.3 psd.

You dont get 20mpg towing 32,000 pounds but you do have a unicorn in your azz

That pepsi just made my nose hairs burn. :hehe: It'd be a stretch for 10 mpg but I can do it downhill both directions. :hehe:

That pepsi just made my nose hairs burn. :hehe: It'd be a stretch for 10 mpg but I can do it downhill both directions. :hehe:

i bet wickedcummins truck can do it assuming his input is up to the task hahaha

Last edited:
Back