completion (with lots of pics.)

cummins2001

We'll, I got my swap all finished up, I've been runing it for about a month now and everythings going great ! all though its runing great, its not done, (but is it ever ?) I am waiting on mach 4's and some other odds and ends. Hope you like the pics. and hope it helps some one else out ! Also, I plan to dyno at diesel days in Dillsburg this spring, so all I can really say is going by the seat its more then my VP set up that was at 375hp and 896ft lbs, thanks for looking -Ethan
CopyofDSCN1994.jpg
A dead doge.
DSCN1995.jpg
coming apart.
DSCN1996.jpg
DSCN1997.jpg
the issue.
DSCN2000.jpg
Strap the condensor out of the way.
DSCN2001.jpg
DSCN2002.jpg
DSCN2005.jpg
DSCN2006.jpg
DSCN2008.jpg
KDP. looked to be holding strong.
DSCN2010.jpg
DSCN2034.jpg
where to stuff the ECM...
DSCN2037.jpg
DSCN2036.jpg
Notice how i notched the bracket on the bottem of the ECM, this is to clear my mechanical lp block off plate.
DSCN2079.jpg
I made this block off plate, they can be bought however....

DSCN2080.jpg
ECM. again, the return line ended up getting choped and flared with a rubber hose clamped on it, it does still run similar to this though.
DSCN2055.jpg
DSCN2057.jpg
Cam out, VP gear housing off.
DSCN2073.jpg
Cam back in, P7100 housing on...
DSCN2166.jpg
you need to grind this much out for haisley's cam sensor adapter....dont put your housing on the truck befor taking that out..
DSCN2168.jpg
Note the cam out for round 2 :bang
DSCN2169.jpg
finally.
DSCN2119.jpg
I made this pointer.
DSCN2118.jpg
checking where the belt will not be a problem..
DSCN2126.jpg
welded, looks clean.
DSCN2075.jpg
Did this while waiting on parts :)
DSCN2172.jpg
This a 12v starter relay off a tractor I wired in for my shut down solenoid.
DSCN2158.jpg
AD 150 suction tube, cut and drilled.
DSCN2156.jpg
AD 150 for 94-98 Dodge.
DSCN2162.jpg
.084's
DSCN2184.jpg
finding TDC. off the piston.
DSCN2183.jpg
head grinding.
DSCN2179.jpg
Banjo would work ok, but no one locally could make my line with a banjo.
DSCN2181.jpg
Cut off the JIC nipple.
DSCN2182.jpg
drilled and tapped to accept the 1/8'' brass 90.
DSCN2186.jpg
This is the block side, the port after the power steering pump feed port.
DSCN2192.jpg
]
DSCN2196.jpg
runing.
hope you like the pics ! let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking- Ethan

What in the world posessed you to drill holes in you pick-up tube ?

What in the world posessed you to drill holes in you pick-up tube ?

Thats what I was thinking too. It looks like the top hole is about 4 inches from the bottom. My drawstraw is sitting on the bottom of the tank and I still suck air under 1/4 tank. I'm going to go with a sump in mine now.

:rockwoot:Very nice work. Thanks for taking the time to put up the pics. I think that this should become a sticky:rockwoot: this will help with alot of ?s in the future.

Same ? about the holes in the pickup tube
thanks jake

the 45 and the holes where because I was told guys had problems with the straws hitting the bottem of the tank and not picking fuel up. The tube had an extra inch cut off it after that picture, the highest hole is about 2 1/2 inches up now. I try not to let my tank go below 1/4, with a straw like this and a tank that low, sloshing around its going to suck air, I figure with the baffels in the tank and being no less then 1/4 I'll have no problems.

as far as driveability, Its great, its nice smooth power, no choppy acceleration and no shuttering, I lost alot respect for VP44's holding up. I'v just seen WAY to many die, my last one never seen a minute with out 15psi. and only lasted me 60,000miles. I had plenty of people tell me I was an idiot for spending the money and time to do this, but when I found out my vp went out again that was enough, I no people make big numbers on vp's hrvp's and monsters and more power to them, but its a pump i lost respect for because of my personal experience.
Thanks for looking ! -Ethan

the 45 and the holes where because I was told guys had problems with the straws hitting the bottem of the tank and not picking fuel up. The tube had an extra inch cut off it after that picture, the highest hole is about 2 1/2 inches up now. I try not to let my tank go below 1/4, with a straw like this and a tank that low, sloshing around its going to suck air, I figure with the baffels in the tank and being no less then 1/4 I'll have no problems.

My pickup tube is about 1/4" to 5/16" off the bottom of the tank and I can't get very close to a 1/4 of a tank before I start sucking air. If you have holes 2 1/2" above the bottom of the tank or even above the bottom of the tube, you are going to suck air. I don't remember there being any baffles in our tanks?

Drilling holes in the pick-up tube is the wrong way to go to avoid sucking air issues. You just compounded the issue actually. And if you cut another inch off the tube...you made it even worse.
The tube...if you run one...should be solid all the way to the bottom of the tank and be about 1/4" or so off the tank floor.

If you want to solve that problem permanently...use this:
http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44715

My pickup tube is about 1/4" to 5/16" off the bottom of the tank and I can't get very close to a 1/4 of a tank before I start sucking air. If you have holes 2 1/2" above the bottom of the tank or even above the bottom of the tube, you are going to suck air. I don't remember there being any baffles in our tanks?

That sucks. I can run mine tank till the check fuel light comes on and then it only sucks air when I hit the brakes pretty hard when coming up to a stop sign. Also baffles would fix some of that because once the truck is stopped at the the red light or what have you I can watch the FP gauge and it bounces around just like the fuel in the tank does...

That sucks. I can run mine tank till the check fuel light comes on and then it only sucks air when I hit the brakes pretty hard when coming up to a stop sign. Also baffles would fix some of that because once the truck is stopped at the the red light or what have you I can watch the FP gauge and it bounces around just like the fuel in the tank does...

Yeah baffles would definitely help out. I just don't remember seeing any in my tank when I put my tube in.

What year truck is this?
Its a 2001.
I don't remember there being any baffles in our tanks?
My truck has at least two that can be seen with the sending unit out.

When I said I cut another inch off, I ment that I had to because it was to long to even fit into the tank. My tube is no more then a 1/4'' off the bottom of the tank, and the holes drilled are about 2 1/2" up from the tube. I've allready had the truck to 1/8 tank and had no issues with air or FP bouncing. However I try to keep my truck at least 1/4 tank or more. I think we can all agree a tube isn't the way to go, you should be able to run right to you low fuel light with no issues.....it can from factory right. That sump is the way to go. I wish I had thought to look for one of these when I went through this. All though I'v had no problems with the straw yet, I may look in to putting a sump on it, for $165 and what your getting, thats not a bad price. thanks for the link unbroken*

I can't beleave your tanks woudln't have baffels ? you would think your level sensor would bounce all over the place ? My trucks a 2001 and where the sending unit drops in the tank, theres a baffel on each side.
-Ethan

Its a 2001.
My truck has at least two that can be seen with the sending unit out.

When I said I cut another inch off, I ment that I had to because it was to long to even fit into the tank. My tube is no more then a 1/4'' off the bottom of the tank, and the holes drilled are about 2 1/2" up from the tube. I've allready had the truck to 1/8 tank and had no issues with air or FP bouncing. However I try to keep my truck at least 1/4 tank or more. I think we can all agree a tube isn't the way to go, you should be able to run right to you low fuel light with no issues.....it can from factory right. That sump is the way to go. I wish I had thought to look for one of these when I went through this. All though I'v had no problems with the straw yet, I may look in to putting a sump on it, for $165 and what your getting, thats not a bad price. thanks for the link unbroken*

I can't beleave your tanks woudln't have baffels ? you would think your level sensor would bounce all over the place ? My trucks a 2001 and where the sending unit drops in the tank, theres a baffel on each side.
-Ethan

I don't have have baffles in the tank. I pulled the sending unit out to drill the hole for my suction tube and my reach was unobstructed in both directions. Why did you put holes in the sides of the tube?

That seems weird that theres no baffels in yours, I believe you, I just don't understand it.

I changed my mind about the tube. I'm putting a sump on this weekend.

-Ethan

I can't beleave your tanks woudln't have baffels ? you would think your level sensor would bounce all over the place ?

I can't say for the dodge, but I know in my old ford, the gauge is very slow to react to any movement in the float in the tank, that any sloshing won't really show on the gauge. I'd think the dodge (and pretty much any vehicle) would be the same.