Compound build help

Cooter69

Hey how is it going? So been trying to figure out what compound setup to go with. I have asked a few people and get mixed feedback so looking for some help! I have searched and get close to what I want, yet not quite exactly. I am not looking to make the truck a dedicated 1/4 mile truck, looking to make it a all around truck.

Truck is a 2006 Dodge ram auto 4wd quad cab long bed

I do plan to lift the truck 6" on 37's, yet when I go to the truck have some 35's to put on and run it. The truck will probably only see the track once a year and make a handful of passes. Be mostly used for towing and taking out on the weeks. Thing only has 34k miles on it! So with that being said, for power would love 900 hp or so. Well whatever is needed to run low to mid 12's in the 1/4 mile lifted on 35's and tow my 40' fifth wheel grossing 17,000 pounds, or an enclosed, or a 30' trailer. Max towing I would say is 20,000.

Parts I have now-

Gauges for boost, egt, trans temp, 5" cat back exhaust and a small efi live tune.

I was thinking/knowing I need the following for the motor-

Built trans, flex plate, convertor, with billet input, intermediate, output shafts. Truck will have carli parts and plan to jump it!
stock/s475 borg warner with crazy carl piping, or 62/s475, or 62/s480 with crazy carl piping.
Also can I add a exhaust brake from pacbrake while running compounds?
ATS dual cp3 pumps
120 or 150 injectors from exergy
Fass 150gph pump
ARP 625 head studs
Hamilton valve springs
Custom tuned EFILIVE CSP5

Am I missing any other parts? I want it to be very very reliable and not run into any issues or should have, what if moments.

I know the lift and 35's are going to hurt me at the track,yet I plan to launch at 5-10 psi and than let the hp and torque kick in. I am not looking to race the truck every weekend, just probably take it to the track once a year for a night, make a few passes and back to the garage it goes. I use the truck mainly for towing my 40' fifth wheel and other enclosed trailers at best the truck sees 2-3k miles a year on it.

I want compounds for towing and would love to put the truck into low 12's in the 1/4 mile with all motor.

Any feedback or advice is welcome! Yeah I know big lifted truck and fast don't mix. However we all have dreams and I am going after mine. :rockwoot:

This is covered in hundreds of builds ,In this and other forums . Really tow rig , 900 hp , reliable , and daily driver aren't commonly associated together . My advice would be pick your number , do the research and go from there . The replys you get are gonna be vastly different and you'll have a headache sorting thru it . Good luck and post lots of pics we all love pics . But mainly pic a happy nedium 900 hp is a big # and big #'s cost big $$$'s . If you do build a 900 hp bull , you'll find many weak links between your happy foot and the ground . Not tryn to discourage just being realistic . It has been done but hp=$$ .

This is covered in hundreds of builds ,In this and other forums . Really tow rig , 900 hp , reliable , and daily driver aren't commonly associated together . My advice would be pick your number , do the research and go from there . The replys you get are gonna be vastly different and you'll have a headache sorting thru it . Good luck and post lots of pics we all love pics . But mainly pic a happy nedium 900 hp is a big # and big #'s cost big $$$'s . If you do build a 900 hp bull , you'll find many weak links between your happy foot and the ground . Not tryn to discourage just being realistic . It has been done but hp=$$ .

Really, so everyone is building a truck to do exactly like mine? I have picked my number and done my research! I am not trying to have the truck tow at 900 hp or daily drive at 900 hp. Did you read what I typed?

900 hp, very very reliable, no issues, and 37's... sounds like a plan...

Thank you for being my financial adviser and telling me how to live my life and spend my money. Guess it was dumb of me to buy a gt-r as well? Thanks again for your ignorance.

I don't understand why it is so hard to get advice instead of criticism and negativity. Or people telling others how to spend their money or build their trucks.

Its completely doable with a CR. I'd bump up the secondary size to a 64 and stick with the 480 on the bottom. CR's spool anything especially with EFI and a correctly setup trans.

The exhaust brake I'm not sure of and your on the right track fuel wise.

Really, so everyone is building a truck to do exactly like mine? I have picked my number and done my research! I am not trying to have the truck tow at 900 hp or daily drive at 900 hp. Did you read what I typed?

Thank you for being my financial adviser and telling me how to live my life and spend my money. Guess it was dumb of me to buy a gt-r as well? Thanks again for your ignorance.

I don't understand why it is so hard to get advice instead of criticism and negativity. Or people telling others how to spend their money or build their trucks.

The only thing I gotta add is this:

You have made 2 posts...in the second one your already rippin guys a new one for giving you advice.

Better lighten up a little bit, and do some more research.

You need to cool your turbo's man. :ft: If you can't take ribbing you mite want to leave this site. Your just baiting yourself for some serious razzing. These guys have a lot of knowledge to offer you. Just don't get butt hurt with your panties in a bunch over a couple posts. I also wouldn't be bragging a lot about how much money you have either.

Its completely doable with a CR. I'd bump up the secondary size to a 64 and stick with the 480 on the bottom. CR's spool anything especially with EFI and a correctly setup trans.

Thank you for your feedback and help! I wasn't sure if the S475 would be able to handle with what I am looking for. I mean as a single guys are making 950 hp with them. So in a compound setup was thinking a 62 or 64 under it would be enough? Or in a compound setup it can't move the air like a 480?

The exhaust brake I'm not sure of and your on the right track fuel wise.

I will have to go with a remote mount setup and be very tight. Rethinking this one for the exhaust brake.

The only thing I gotta add is this:

You have made 2 posts...in the second one your already rippin guys a new one for giving you advice.
Better lighten up a little bit, and do some more research.

I am showing them the same respect they showed me, none. They could have pointed me in a general direction instead of spout off what they did.

PS, what does my post count have to do with anything? I know have three.

You need to cool your turbo's man. :ft: If you can't take ribbing you mite want to leave this site. Your just baiting yourself for some serious razzing. These guys have a lot of knowledge to offer you. Just don't get butt hurt with your panties in a bunch over a couple posts. I also wouldn't be bragging a lot about how much money you have either.

My turbos are cool. I understand that and I posted my questions for feedback, not to be harassed on what I want to build. Well they seem to be financial adviser's and know what is best for me, my life, and my money. Awaiting to see what they say about what I should spend and eat for lunch.

Last edited:
The truck you're building is exactlty like my '06, just with an automatic and a couple hundred more hp.

As was said before, step up to a 64/480ish size for 900. If money isn't a huge object, have you looked at the Garret ball bearing turbos? I think you'd get a little better spooling out of them, that would give you better performance over a wide range of 400 hp towing, 700 hp daily driving, and 900 hp track tunes.

Yes, you can run a PacBrake with twins. I'm running a 5" inline mounted approximately underneath the front passenger seat. It works great...just slightly more delay when it kicks on due to the increased volume between it and the engine. We were loaded down to over 20k lbs on our 10,300 mile trip to Alaska, and it did great. You have a basic list, but there's lots of other little things you're going to want to do...coolant bypass, etc.

On the suspension side, what are you looking at? I'd recommend the 2.65 Bilsteins at a minimum. You're going to need a trussed front axle, and hydraulic bumps on the front end as well. For the rear, you're going to need the LT airbags, and it'd be helpful to have bumps there too. I've got 4" bumps in the rear that can be adjusted in height to help with load carrying capability. You need a sector shaft brace, and you'll be needing to do Carli BJs, sway bar, control arms or radius arm, dual stabilizers, as well. You're going to have to be clever with how you do a traction bar setup as well.

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll try to help. I'm not the most knowledgable, but I've made plenty of mistakes that I can share.

I'm sure you know, but to put together what you're describing, you're looking at a $50k investment. Not practical at all. But fun.

--Eric

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback and help! I wasn't sure if the S475 would be able to handle with what I am looking for. I mean as a single guys are making 950 hp with them. So in a compound setup was thinking a 62 or 64 under it would be enough? Or in a compound setup it can't move the air like a 480?

I will have to go with a remote mount setup and be very tight. Rethinking this one for the exhaust brake.

I am showing them the same respect they showed me, none. They could have pointed me in a general direction instead of spout off what they did.

PS, what does my post count have to do with anything? I know have three.

Spouting off like you did to the first couple of guys that replied to you, could have been handled a lot differently by you. (Try talking back like that on your first day on the job...you'll be kicking your lunch pail down the road before the first coffee break....unless now your gonna brag about owning the company too.)$.02

My turbos are cool. I understand that and I posted my questions for feedback, not to be harassed on what I want to build. Well they seem to be financial adviser's and know what is best for me, my life, and my money. Awaiting to see what they say about what I should spend and eat for lunch.

And with more replies like that, good luck with your build.

I'm out...bif

Back