Compound turbo build and other updates

New intercooler seems to be holding fine, only running 70 psi right now though. Time will tell.

337a09bd48056a6fd18e4b6d0e9b6951.jpg

Gonna try this for a breather tank, the small single filter catch can I had didn't seem to flow enough, pushed oil out the dipstick tube. I'll run both valve cover breathers to this one, one off the front cover, and maybe vent off the old lift pump hole eventually.

Sent from phone

5735d5c2fba08a04ec15c108ff552d55.jpg

Well the secondary blew up sled pulling yesterday. Too much drive pressure and heat probably. Don't know what drive was but probably well over 100 psi and egts were well over 2000 LOL.

Anyways, wonder if I should go with a bigger exhaust side to lower drive? It was a 63/68 with that non gated .83 t4 housing. It has a 45mm gate but i still couldn't really keep drive in line without lowering boost a lot.

Sent from phone

Damn how much fuel and rpm you running to overspeed that secondary??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5x18, stock 180 pump with 100+cc 7mm comp DV's, 4k springs. was turning almost 4000 rpm sled pulling.

26ca146c890015a2035dbdfac96a52e1.jpg

Well crap, the primary comp is junk too. Looks like a bunch of shrapnel blew back through as the air filter has a bunch of holes in it now.

Sent from phone

Last edited:
Well damn that's close to same pump setup as me except I have the 160HP pump.

Is any of the turbo parts salvageable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The primary just needs a new comp wheel and cover I think. The secondary is pretty much completely toast, exhaust housing might be salvageable but the turbine rubbed pretty hard and its full of cracks.

I'm thinking I need more exhaust flow on the secondary, esp. with the rpm this thing can turn and I'm planning on even more fuel later on. This thing is hardly a DD anymore so I can deal with a bit more lag. I shoulda just kept my old billet 66/73 lol.

5735d5c2fba08a04ec15c108ff552d55.jpg

Well the secondary blew up sled pulling yesterday. Too much drive pressure and heat probably. Don't know what drive was but probably well over 100 psi and egts were well over 2000 LOL.

Anyways, wonder if I should go with a bigger exhaust side to lower drive? It was a 63/68 with that non gated .83 t4 housing. It has a 45mm gate but i still couldn't really keep drive in line without lowering boost a lot.

Sent from phone

Don't tell me this lol
Same pump/DV/injector/waste gate I am planning on running in my truck, but with the 62/68/.83

Dumping the gate to the atmosphere works ok.
....my wife $hit her pants the first time it went off at 80 psi. (It exits right behind the front passenger tire.)
I was going to try to dump it into the hot pipe, and see how it handles it, but with everything I have tried with mine....it's not going to work unless another gate is on the hotpipe.
66/68/.83 over a 84mm

Hmmm I might have to try that. I remember reading some of your threads Extended Power, iirc you tried a bigger secondary and it didn't help lower drive pressure much?

Sent from phone

The bigger turbine just made it lag more.
I use mine on the street alot more than the track, so I want quick off the line, and then stupid power after that.
So far, I liked the response of the T3 x .70 housing on the secondary the best, but with the gate dumping into the hot pipe, it just pressured everything up.

More things to try yet, but the season is coming to a close really quick.

Well maybe I'll just get the same size secondary again with billet compressor and do something different with the gate or add one in front of the primary. I still do drive on the street so it'd be nice to keep it as fast spooling as possible lol. Anyone compared the .83 housing against the .91? I'm debating throwing a .91 on since my old .83 housing is pretty much toast. Idk if it would flow better with the full size ports vs the necked down ports on that .83 housing.

I hogged the inlet ports out on my .83 to the standard T4 port size.
And being that the housing is still a .83, it should flow more than the old T3 x .70
But I think going back to the .70 with using the internal gate...it might flow as much as the T4 .83, but have quicker off the line response.
I'm going to swap the .83 out to the .70, and use the internal gates, and dump the external gate to atmosphere.
It's something I can try without having to change any piping.

I hogged the inlet ports out on my .83 to the standard T4 port size.
And being that the housing is still a .83, it should flow more than the old T3 x .70
But I think going back to the .70 with using the internal gate...it might flow as much as the T4 .83, but have quicker off the line response.
I'm going to swap the .83 out to the .70, and use the internal gates, and dump the external gate to atmosphere.
It's something I can try without having to change any piping.

I think it's worth noting that there is more than one .83 T4 housing and some of them have full T4 volutes right out of the box

130FB3E3-1A0D-46F2-BFDE-4A9C6D7D80BB-12988-00000ED02CB13D70_zps107ff832.jpg

Last edited:
Back