Compound turbo build and other updates

Kinda of a crappy internal gate on them IMO

I have never seen one, but have heard there was one.
I think they only dump one side, correct?

Even so, to have the .83 waste gated version that could bypass some of the exhaust to the primary, would be better than dumping everything over 80 psi to the atmosphere.

The .83 doesn't flow enough to run the primary hard enough. IMO
Another thing I noticed is that with 10psi drive through the .83, there is only about 3 psi going out towards the primary...with the .70, it was exactly 50% all the time. 10psi into the secondary, 5psi going to the primary. 50psi drive to the secondary, 25psi to the primary. 100psi to the secondary, 50psi to the primary.
Something else I noticed was that the primary was at a 1:1 ratio until 30psi, then went downhill fast from there. (30psi drive to the primary, 30psi output of boost towards to secondary...50psi drive to the primary, only 38psi boost output to the secondary.)

Yup, just one little guy. My friend Brandon has that housing as the only gate in his compound setup and he's been fighting with it for a while

B41A6FCD-1ABB-404A-BD22-33A8DAE684EE-24345-00001184016C24F4_zpse635cf86.jpg

I have never seen one, but have heard there was one.

I think they only dump one side, correct?

Even so, to have the .83 waste gated version that could bypass some of the exhaust to the primary, would be better than dumping everything over 80 psi to the atmosphere.

The .83 doesn't flow enough to run the primary hard enough. IMO

Another thing I noticed is that with 10psi drive through the .83, there is only about 3 psi going out towards the primary...with the .70, it was exactly 50% all the time. 10psi into the secondary, 5psi going to the primary. 50psi drive to the secondary, 25psi to the primary. 100psi to the secondary, 50psi to the primary.

Something else I noticed was that the primary was at a 1:1 ratio until 30psi, then went downhill fast from there. (30psi drive to the primary, 30psi output of boost towards to secondary...50psi drive to the primary, only 38psi boost output to the secondary.)

Are you saying the .70 housing out flowed the .83?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he is also running the small volute housing for a 65mm turbine if I'm correct. If I'm thinking correctly, the AR would be smaller stuffing a bigger wheel in it.

The .83 was from Forced Inductions. (Jose)
I had drilled out the waste gate ports on the .70 housing, that's why I think that the .70 housing would be better all round...it had quicker spool up/response, and when the internal gates open up, it would flow more than the T4 .83 non gated housing. (Best of both worlds)
And still run the external to atmosphere.

Soo.... kinda been kicking around the idea of building triples. Gonna cost a big chunk of $$$ to fix my primary the way I want. And then its still only a s400. Thinking a billet s363/68/.91 on the manifold and maybe a couple box stock 63/68/.88 for the primarys? thoughts?

That's or the higher exhaust flowing 66-71 clipped box turbo. Just not sure of the turbine requirements of triples. How are you going to keep from overspeeding that secondary again though?

I'll have to make sure I keep drive pressure in check this time. I let it go way over 100 psi drive too much I think.

Sent from phone

Soo.... kinda been kicking around the idea of building triples. Gonna cost a big chunk of $$$ to fix my primary the way I want. And then its still only a s400. Thinking a billet s363/68/.91 on the manifold and maybe a couple box stock 63/68/.88 for the primarys? thoughts?

Talk to 92dak_r6 he did a similar setup and is switching it up

Last edited:
Talk to 92dak_r6 he did a similar setup and is switching it up

I think the last post in his build thread was all s363s with the secondary having a 0.83 housing and one gate on manifold on secondary. Made ~490 hp, but only 12psi from primaries.

Triples are confusing....

Maybe all that is needed is s257s for primaries with maybe a gate on them?

I think the last post in his build thread was all s363s with the secondary having a 0.83 housing and one gate on manifold on secondary. Made ~490 hp, but only 12psi from primaries.

I read that post, he said something about the afc being stuck so it wasn't getting even close to full fuel.

I think 2 s363's should be enough air for me, thats 150 lb's a minute... But are they going to flow enough on the turbine side? idk anything about triples. or turbos for that matter lol.

Two 68mm primaries should flow ~ 60lbs/min on the turbine side, a single S400 turbine 88/96mm in a 1.32AR housing flows ~ 54lbs/min.

I did it just to do it for the cool factor!. Not saying I did it right(most likely not). I was having fueling problems, fixed them and it wasn't doing all that great still. I finally managed 18-20psi out of the primaries but that was at 3200 rpms and my pump(160) as everyone knows starts to defuel . I think the way my gate was setup/mounted was causing flow problems. for a mild truck turning less than 3500 38mm gate may be fine for DP but anything above that i would go with a 50mm. And in all honesty if it's not a 900+hp truck I'm not even going to think about triples again.

I think triples for 1000hp 63/68- (2) 62/65/.70. Once again just my opinions.

Wasn't meaning to call you out or anything. Atleast you were brave enough to try it and we can learn from you.

So clearly two s363s are probably too much for the average guy unless you have wicked fuel and rpm and going for big numbers.

No worries man. I was meaning to post yesterday but didn't have time. For a Stock head and cam- even a mild cam 12v I think yes they're too much. My egt's were cooler running a single s467.7/83/.9 anything above 35psi. and my gating issue could've been the root cause.
Me personally I just want to have a nice spooling setup and a 750hp dakota( truth be told my new primary billet 84/96 is well above that, truthfully a 76/92/1.1 would be enough for me and my goals)

Sorry OP for the derail!

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm wanting to make 900+ in the future, which is why I was even contemplating triples. And I also like building stuff and trying new setups lol. I turn 4000 rpm quite a bit which is why I was thinking the 63's might work, idk. I have a 45mm gate on the manifold already, should be enough if I can get it working right.

Sent from phone

Back