Compressor Wheel Machining

tnadanzig

I am looking at getting a new compressor wheel for my Garrett GTB2260vklr turbo. Its smaller than most of the turbos on this forum, but with all of the experience on this forum I figured I would have better luck than some other places. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a shop to machine a larger extended tip compressor wheel for this turbo. It is a turbo used on Mercedes 3.0 V6 diesels. I have to order then from Europe as all the Garrett Turbo dealers in the US told me they can not get them. I have one on my 08 Jeep WK CRD and running around 330-350 HP. I would like to get ~ 30-50 HP more. I have talked to a couple of places that could make a new compressor wheel, but they are all in Europe and I would like to have a couple made in the US as shipping back and forth is painful. Any recommendations you have would appreciated.

It's going to be a pretty penny as whoever does it won't be putting it out for production. It'll be a one and done type of deal. D&J Precision machine does custom wheels and I know Industrial Injection has a lot of fancy equipment in house but not sure if they do compressor wheels. You'd have to call and see whether they'd even take the time to do it. I imagine with it being the start of the season that they may be swamped with work. Good luck.

It's going to be a pretty penny as whoever does it won't be putting it out for production. It'll be a one and done type of deal. D&J Precision machine does custom wheels and I know Industrial Injection has a lot of fancy equipment in house but not sure if they do compressor wheels. You'd have to call and see whether they'd even take the time to do it. I imagine with it being the start of the season that they may be swamped with work. Good luck.

Nah. I'm sure one day he will though.

Nah. I'm sure one day he will though.

I knew he made custom wheels but I guess it's only for their own turbos.

It honestly may be cheaper to swap a more well known turbo onto it that has more aftermarket support. You're looking at a lot of money for a custom wheel.

Last edited:
Those "european" wheels come from far-east like all US wheels also.

You need AMG turbine also, big compressor wont help when turbine is restriction.

I knew he made custom wheels but I guess it's only for their own turbos.

It honestly may be cheaper to swap a more well known turbo onto it that has more aftermarket support. You're looking at a lot of money for a custom wheel.

I don't thing he has the tooling for that. Think he has them made

Thanks for the info. I have gotten a few quotes from some companies in Europe that have done compressor wheels similar to this for around $700 for two compressor wheels plus shipping. So I am just trying to see if I can be around that price and keep the work done in the US. I have gotten tired of shipping back and forth the Europe. I have a stock compressor wheel for reference.

I have a department at work that has a nice 3D scanner so I have thought of just scanning it and playing around with my own design, but I don't have a 5 axis CNC and much experience machining compressor wheels like this. I have a HAAS VF2 at work with 4th axis and thought of using some plastic and seeing how it comes out, but haven't had much time for that.

Back