Connecting rods....

YkDave

Just wondering what some thoughts are on this, maybe someone here has ran these rods...

Dealer destroyed 2 of the factory rods during disassembly (used a chisel to drive the piston/rod out :doh:) before they decided they werent going to cover anything under warranty :bs:

Anyways, ive got an industrial 12v with 3954658 rods (cracked cap, powdered metal) which are pretty much identical and are interchangeable with the stock rods.

Has anyone ran the 3954658 rods at moderate power levels? issues?

Shooting for the 500hp range, nothing crazy, but im sure as hell not going to do it with a set of rods that are going to shrapnel

Just wondering what some thoughts are on this, maybe someone here has ran these rods...

Dealer destroyed 2 of the factory rods during disassembly (used a chisel to drive the piston/rod out :doh:) before they decided they werent going to cover anything under warranty :bs:

Anyways, ive got an industrial 12v with 3954658 rods (cracked cap, powdered metal) which are pretty much identical and are interchangeable with the stock rods.

Has anyone ran the 3954658 rods at moderate power levels? issues?

Shooting for the 500hp range, nothing crazy, but im sure as hell not going to do it with a set of rods that are going to shrapnel

the stock Powder metal rod is fine at 500 hp. I made 1050 hp on Project X diesel in land speed trim with those rods and a 218,000 short block. that said , it your starting from scratch the the forged rods are better . I have 40 sets of cores if you need some.

LOL

Seems its right on that borderline were half the people figure its 'ok' and the other half say no way

Being this far ($$) into a project that i had no intention of in the first place, i dont think its worth the risk. I think ill hang on for a bit and see what i can scrounge up for forged rods (could pull my other engine apart, but thats a last resort, i'd hate to scrap a good engine just for the rods)

Fortunately i may have a line on a set of forged rods, but buddy is out of town for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I've got a set of polished and peened 12v rods with A1 bolts sitting on the shelf! Made in the U.S.A. Should be good for 700+ hp! Make me an offer! Forged is great for 1000hp but that's a lot of money for rods!

Last edited: