Constant Black Smoke, light accel

Rhett24

Early 2004, no matter the tuning even on stock the truck has a thick black haze when accelerating. Have already cleaned air filter, changed fuel filter, checked map sensor. Egt's are 600-650 cruising at 60mph. Boost is the same. Checked all intercooler boots and intake gaskets. Made my own boost leak tester and didnt find anything. Ever sense i put these I.I. injectors in the truck Has had a thick haze even under light acceleration. They only have 9k miles. Could this be a boost leak that i missed? Bad spray pattern on injector? Coked turbo shaft? Any help please!!!!:bang

It says II for injectors. Theres your problem lol. Thats the word on the streets anyways.

I was thinking about pulling them and sending them exergy and having them balance and look them over. I just hope those II havent hurt anything like a piston!!

Went thru the complete air intake system today and charged system and replaced gaskets on intake horn and teflon on all the bolts. Still no difference. I am not sure what it could be. Starts just fine, idles smooth and no smoke during either. My guess is the process they use to make the nozzle holes bigger left these nozzles with a bad spray pattern. Can anyone chime in who has more experience/knowledge on this.

Side note- with UDC i have decreased my duration down in my low rpm/low load acceleration. Dont know what else i can do accept buy new nozzles.

Has your turbo spooled any slower since swapping in the injectors? If so I'd check for exhaust leaks and frozen wastegates.

I wonder if they gave you later 04 injectors.. Would spray down in the bowl and give you hell...

What symptoms would I be seeing with the different degree spray pattern? Isnt the 03-04 143* and 04.5 the 126*?

Tighter spray would still burn, but lack of power you could have and smoke all the time

I pulled my #1 injector this morning. It has 8 holes so it is the correct injector. But it was covered in carbon build up. And closer look with a magnifying glass two of the the holes either are way way smaller or they are clogged with carbon build up. I actually saw a video on youtube (dirty vs clean) injectors. And after it was clean the spray pattern was amazingly different. I think I have dirty injectors. I will remove all injectors and remove the nozzles and clean them.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to clean a nozzle? After I clean them I'll report back on my heavy haze issue.

yikes.

get them sticks out of there. what size are they? you could have also received a way larger stick than you asked for.

I cleaned all the the nozzles this evening. Alot of carbon build up. Waiting for new copper washers. Then will install and see how she runs. I did check and all the nozzles are 143* spray pattern. The nozzles are 35lpm or 120hp or 60% whichever you prefer.

Last edited:
Back