conversion w/ pics

jakethesnake

currently operational
well got started on my conversion this weekend, heres some pics of how i did it. and ive proved that you dont need to pull the cam to do this swap! check it out

bumperoff.jpg

coolingsytmstirp.jpg

stripedfront.jpg

opencoverwovpgear.jpg

gearpuller.jpg

camgearoff.jpg

got the cam gear off really easy with a cummins cam gear puller, worked like a charm, when i put it back on i heated it up to 500* got it set on the cam, then beat it with a big socket, and pryd the cam back forward after each hit, so i wouldnt knock the cam plug out of the back of the block...
camgearon.jpg

the truck would be running tonight but Pure Diesel Power made a dumba$$$ mistake and sent me another vp gear housing, instead of the 12v p-pump, i didnt notice until i tried to mount the pump!!! so the gear housing is back off and waiting for the right one :bang

farecmmount.jpg

(the far ecm mount)
ecmmount.jpg

ecmreturn.jpg

ill get some pics of pics of the fuel shut off cable up tonight

the new housing will be here tomorrow so hopefully i can get it together and running tomorrow night!
7GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

1GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

10GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

2GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

8GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

got the fuel shutoff cable done last night, tell me what yall think of it so far!
how many breathers should i put on it? and do they need to be anywhere besides the valve cover?

haha dont worry im still nervous about putting the gear on again!:hehe: but it did save me a bunch of work, i wish i could have done the cam but just dont have the money right now:bang

Even after the fiasco I had with mine I still pulled the cam on the next engine I converted. Just so easy not to. Not to mention it gives you a chance to inspect your cam which is a good thing cause I noticed lobes flaking off on my buddy's cam. 193k on stock cam/springs/pushrods and lobes are starting to flake. Engine is only at 400hp and does nothing but tow all day. Freaking ridiculous.

On another note, I like your cable shutoff. Hopefully it works better on yours than mine does. I damn near gotta use two hands to kill it. Oh well.

Even after the fiasco I had with mine I still pulled the cam on the next engine I converted. Just so easy not to. Not to mention it gives you a chance to inspect your cam which is a good thing cause I noticed lobes flaking off on my buddy's cam. 193k on stock cam/springs/pushrods and lobes are starting to flake. Engine is only at 400hp and does nothing but tow all day. Freaking ridiculous.

On another note, I like your cable shutoff. Hopefully it works better on yours than mine does. I damn near gotta use two hands to kill it. Oh well.

thats good to know:bang lol i figure ill do one this winter, i just needed to get a good start for building power

ok guys swap is finished truck is running but i sounds like i have a miss on one cylinder, when driving under acceleration there is a strong shake defiantly a miss... today im swapping some different injectors in it to make sure i didnt get some junk in them when i drilled my tubes, checking all the valve lash, and the last i want to think about the pump.... check out the video and give me some feed back thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVp2_2mYJ2c&feature=channel

why does it sound so terrible.. not to be rude...

btw, do you realize how fukked you'd be if you knocked out the cam softplug? LOL

if you took the time to read through the thread, or only a few post above yours, i think you might have seen that i have noticed the sound of the engine, and i am in the process of resolving it, and i took precautions not to knock the plug out, that is if you are intelligent enough to read... not to be rude of course but please if you are too ignorant to try and help another member please refrain from spreading your stupidity, thank you

Hope you get her worked out. It'll be a runner when ya get it tuned in. I think I talked to you a while ago in Columbia. I go to school up here

got it set on the cam, then beat it with a big socket, and pryd the cam back forward after each hit, so i wouldnt knock the cam plug out of the back of the block...

if you took the time to read through the thread, or only a few post above yours, i think you might have seen that i have noticed the sound of the engine, and i am in the process of resolving it, and i took precautions not to knock the plug out, that is if you are intelligent enough to read... not to be rude of course but please if you are too ignorant to try and help another member please refrain from spreading your stupidity, thank you

I only caught the gist of this after reading your last post! I'll bet a dollar the plug is loose and I'd almost bet that the gear walks off the cam within a few thousand miles.

I only caught the gist of this after reading your last post! I'll bet a dollar the plug is loose and I'd almost bet that the gear walks off the cam within a few thousand miles.

thank you.. apparently i am too stoopid to beat on the cam gear in the engine and too ignorant to realize i was wrong... :redx:

to the OP: I was just asking why it sounded like ****, beacuse i figured you would have found the problem out already, so i wanted to know what the problem was.. and before you 'prove' that you don't need to take the cam out to change the front cover, please realize it is better if you did.. a few gaskets and some time can save you a chitload of time and effort and money.. but what do i know, i'm stupid and ignorant and can't read.. :kick:

p.s.: Mr 12 post don't come on here and be a dumbass or you will be treated as such, a bad attitude right off the bat is a good way to turn every thread you start into a chitstorm... on that note, anyone like tacos?

ps: <- this is what part of the alphabet would look like if 'q' and 'r' were eliminated...

Last edited:
why yes and the motor will probably fall out in 500 so it wont matter, Cummins mid south has never done this im sure thats why they loaned me all the necessary items to do...... right....so keyboard jockeys, so long and fair well im on to the next thread bash and talk sh*t about thanks for the help by the way, this forum has been so useful!

95smokin, thanks i remember talkin to you over by campus

ok guys swap is finished truck is running but i sounds like i have a miss on one cylinder, when driving under acceleration there is a strong shake defiantly a miss... today im swapping some different injectors in it to make sure i didnt get some junk in them when i drilled my tubes, checking all the valve lash, and the last i want to think about the pump.... check out the video and give me some feed back thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVp2_2mYJ2c&feature=channel

Nice videos! what charger you running? sounds good!