Converter going out?

RayL

The other night coming home from the race track while towing i noticed a few times that the lockup would kick off and on. Well now it does it steady. Common problem? Converter problem? shift solenoid? tps?..WHAT YALL THINK?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

at what speed did does this happen. mine would do that at about 50-60 mph. i checked the trans fluid and it didnt smell burnt, but i was told to try changing it or maybe installing a noise filter. i backed my drag comp to 2x3 from 3x5 not that it would have anything to do with it, but i havent noticed it lately.

My truck did that same thing before I replaced it. I've heard of a cheap and simple fix, it's a "electrical noise filter". I know BD makes them and I believe sun coast makes one as well. If that doesn't work you might need to replace the governor-transdeucer. If that still doesn't work try the TC lock up solinoide. My truck would pulse at 47 to 55mph with light throtle but if I got in it hard, it wouldn't do it. Hope that help's.

it does it at any speed above 45mph or so. The converter will lock up then unlock. I dont have any programmers, this truck is bone stock. Im gonna try changing the fluid. Its cheap.

Check your batteries as well, clean the connections and you might want to get them checked with a tester also. This has been known to help with the lock/unlock problem.

No kidding on the batteries. They will make your truck do all kinds of jacked up stuff.

I tested batteries and they test good, cleaned the connections, change the trans filter and fluid, added some lube gaurd just for kicks, scanned found no codes, and it still does it. Sometimes i can drive it 20 miles and it wont do it. Sometimes it will do it nonstop. What is this DTT filter you speak of. Im tempted to just replace the converter but hate to do that then in a month the trans flies apart and junks up a new converter. What yall think.

Try the noise filter first, then try replacing solenoids, you most likely have an electrical gremlin rather than a mechanical one.

thought it was fixed. hasnt acted up for a couple weeks then on the way home the other night.....it starts doing it. Can i get some more info on this transmission noise filter.

It could have something to do with your tps. What year is your truck?

I'm guessing its the APPS (Adjustable Pedal Posisition Sensor)
I would reset it.

1.Unhook the positives on both batteries
2.Turn Key on and leave it set overnight (realistically could be shorter time, but I like to leave it overnight)
3.turn switch off
4. Hook terminals back up
5. Turn switch on (not start)
6. Slowly press pedal to floor and back
7. Turn switch back off
8. Then your done. Drive easily for the first day or so.

Try wrapping the wire going from the alternator to the passenger battery (I believe it's black with a tan stripe) in aluminum foil and see if that helps. It's a cheap noise filter and it solved my problem till I get the DTT noise filter installed when I got the tranny built.