Converter stall speed and 1/4 times

mtm93ramnasty

image_zps9423b8d1.jpg

I was wondering if anyone could explain these time slips to me. The 12.0 pass is with a 2000 stall bd converter with a much better 60ft. The 11.9 is with my 2500stall goerend converter with a slow 60ft blowing through the converter off the line. I would have thought the tighter converter would have picked up 1-2/10th's with that 60ft. Both passes were very close track conditions.

Last edited:
Looks like your just flat out making more power. 114mph vs 111 and 89 vs 91 in the 1/8th

Looks like your just flat out making more power. 114mph vs 111 and 89 vs 91 in the 1/8th

That is where I am confused. Same exact setup no changes except I swapped the goerend converter to the tighter bd converter. Temp and humidity was slightly lower today when I went 12.0 with the bd converter. Boost was the same as before.

Last edited:
Wait so you went from a high stall to a low stall or a low stall to a high stall?

Went to a lower stall i think, and lost power.

Makes sense to me. Higher in the power band, more hp on the launch without spinning?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Went to a lower stall i think, and lost power.

Makes sense to me. Higher in the power band, more hp on the launch without spinning?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Correct I went from a 2500 to a 2000 stall. Before with the 2500 I would blow through the converter and leave really soft. I got one 1.69 60ft out of it and the rest 1.72-4 range. I figured tighten up the stall a bit and I would improve 60ft and 1/4 times. If its covering the first 60ft faster and the converter locks on a 2nd gear shift why would I loose mph and go slower? My 1st to 2nd shift rpm is still the same.

Maybe it's the diesel God slapping you in the face for taking out a Goerend product and installing a BD one. LOL.

Maybe it's the diesel God slapping you in the face for taking out a Goerend product and installing a BD one. LOL.

I had the bd one laying around from my twins setup. I figured I would throw it in and see what happens since the goerend was too loose, but looks like the goerend is going to go back in.

I haven't found a huge difference in 60 with different convertors with locking into second, and haven't changed 3mph with it.. Just helped spool differently on line..

3mph is huge at that speed IMO

what were the weather conditions on each pass?

possible that the BD was slipping in lockup? :confused:

or maybe the looser converter didn't require as much staging time, thus reducing heat-soak? :confused:

2 single passes arent enough to get accurate results and weather could be a factor.

3mph is huge at that speed IMO

what were the weather conditions on each pass?

possible that the BD was slipping in lockup? :confused:

or maybe the looser converter didn't require as much staging time, thus reducing heat-soak? :confused:

I used the 11.91 slip to compare to the 12.04 because of how close the weather conditions were those two days. As fas as staging the looser converter took longer to get lit because it wouldn't load up like the lower stall. So like I thought the tighter converter should not have caused a 3mph drop/slower time if the 60ft faster. I just need to find out if I am having a power issue or the bd converter is on its way out.

Maybe you were able to get the motor into its power curve better before lockup with the loose converter?

I would definitely do some digging to try and find the cause of the 3mph lose, shouldn't have come from the tc swap.

Smoke tested the intercooler and plumbing and came up with no leaks. Checked exhaust manifold hardware and everything was tight no sign of exhaust leaks. The rad box and redline throw a check engine light, but I decided to check the codes and found P0236 for the map sensor reading "too high". Im thinking this may be part of the issue, how ever I am running a redline for fuel edge for timing/boost fooling.