Converter ?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
I've got a single cab 4x4 04 F-250 with a 5.4 gasser with a bad knock.

Im going to put a 12V into it and curious as to what I need to do with the 4R100 behind the gasser. Just a new valve body and converter to make it shift better? or do I need to replace the complete unit with a 4R100 out of a diesel? I know I need a PCS controller....just curious if the internals are the same as the diesel version.

Truck will never see above 400hp so im sure its more than tough enough. I will be rebuilding it when I take it out with better parts.

Do I put a converter in from a 7.3 diesel? I know stall and such will be different from gas to diesel.

Get with Brian at BTS and use one of his converters. He can match it to the flexplate you get. I am assuming your going to get the adapter from Destroked and all.

Another thought would be to just use the Dodge transmission that was on the 12 engine you have! Would be the cheaper way to go and easiest to install. The PCS can be a little tricky to get tuned just right. Close is one thing...but right on takes some time!!!

I thought about doing that. But what would I do with the transfer case? Swap in the dodge transfer case?