Coolant bypass diy specs?

Jamesmoore554

Hi found a write up on here about a coolant bypass diy and a dude named banshee said he made 3 kits and had all the specs to make the bypass kit for 1/3 of the fleece ect bypass kit price, and to pm him for the specs. Pics look real clean and i would like those specs to diy. Thanks for any help in advance.

I just bought the plate then went to fastenal and bought one 90* 2push lock fittings and a ball valve stopped at the parts store and grabbed some heater house. Pretty simple.

I used a aluminum high speed check valve. Then just shim for what pressure you want it to be set at.

Ya I just used a ball valve cause I don't dd mine so it's just as easy to open in before I go screw around. :hehe:

There was a guy on here that was selling a few he made. I have one of his. Really simple.

What i.d. Was the hose that yall used? Heard 1/2 is a little on he small side so i wanted to go 5/8 or 3/4 i.d. Also heard adjustable boiler relief valves work. Just wish i could find banshee's specs because of how nice it looked with the parts/hardware he went with.

Last edited:
I ran (2) 1/2 hoses one in the rear freeze plug and the other out the head with watts 530c pressure reliefs.
Never had a problem

I built my own using what i had read in otheres DIY threads. I got the valve form a local company. Aquatrol part #AQV55-1/2 It is a series 55 has 1/2 NPT fittings and from what i found it is set at 40psi.
I have run this for 5 years.

Last edited:
Read my first post on this page. I HIGHLY suggest following my suggested cracking pressure, because i heard it from a little birdie :)

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-performance-parts-discussion/569921-i-tested-pressure-6-coolant-port.html
I'm lazy and so I copied it over here to search for later.

DieseLife said:
I had a hard time finding the info on what psi to sel my relief valve at for my DIY coolant bypass. So i bought the necessary fittings and gauge to see what exactly the pressure is at that 1/2" npt #6 coolant port where most bypass kits relieve pressure from. I took a few videos of the gauge readings, coolant temp, ambient temp, and rpm of the engine.Hope somebody finds this info useful!

-I saw no difference in pressure when i varied the engine load by going uphill but keeping the rpms constant. However im sure if you were racing it and creating substantially more heat the pressure would no doubt increase, but that information is irrelevant when it comes to choosing relief pressure for the valve.

-I noticed a slightly higher pressure at idle once the coolant was at operating temp above 190'. Which is understandable, but again not necessary info needed to select a valve relief preesure.

-UPDATE--Im not telling anyone what to set their pressures at, you can make your own conclusions from the video if you like. I chose to go with an Aquatrol Series 55 valve with chrome plating, set at roughly 35 psi cracking pressure.

**SUMMARY OF RESULTS**
-3k rpm ~ 50psi
-3500rpm ~ 65-68psi
-4k rpm ~ 80+ psi
-engine load was pretty irrelevant, all recordings were at operating temp of 190' coolant

Is the coolant bypass something that should be done to our trucks as a standard uograde ? I didn't even know there was a problem with coolant pressure

Is the coolant bypass something that should be done to our trucks as a standard uograde ? I didn't even know there was a problem with coolant pressure

It's really only needed in high rpm situations.

If I do t get it and spin my truck to 4k will the head gasket fail or something ?

Ive been spinning 4k for a while, and at 700+hp with no bypass. I think its people not letting their coolant get up to temp for the thermostat to open before dogging it. You never know, its cheap and easy insurance

Ive been spinning 4k for a while, and at 700+hp with no bypass. I think its people not letting their coolant get up to temp for the thermostat to open before dogging it. You never know, its cheap and easy insurance

Its not just that. some of us are running 24 valve gaskets with fire rings the added water pressure eats away at the gasket.