Coolant Flow / Routing

B_Bail

Hey guys,

Deleting the factory heat exchanger on my 5.9L CR '05 Ram and wondering if there's any reason I can't route the coolant back into the rear freeze plug? Is it mandatory to have some sort of thermostat or pressure switch in line like other company's coolant bypass or can it constantly feed coolant to the rear of the block?

My plan would be to utilize the factory hard line running under the exhaust manifold and tie that around the back to the rear freeze plug block off port I'll be buying with nothing in line. Any reason why I can't do it this way and have constant coolant flow to the rear of the block?

Don't see any problems but figured I'd double check...

Thanks!

A coolant bypass doesn't feed the back of the block, the back of the block feeds to the front where it bypasses the thermostat. Under high rpms pressure in the back of the block gets trapped and wants to push the plug out. I'm not sure if what you're saying will help you at all or not but I know on my bypass if I leave my ball valve open it struggles to keep temps up to operating range, especially if it's just sitting and idling.

Here's what I'm talking about....

Attachments

• Coolant Hose.jpg
    Coolant Hose.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
A coolant bypass doesn't feed the back of the block, the back of the block feeds to the front where it bypasses the thermostat. Under high rpms pressure in the back of the block gets trapped and wants to push the plug out. I'm not sure if what you're saying will help you at all or not but I know on my bypass if I leave my ball valve open it struggles to keep temps up to operating range, especially if it's just sitting and idling.

So I guess I had it backwards with regard to the coolant flow.