Coolant Leak

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
The 96 12V 5 speed tow rig developed a coolant leak on a trip yesterday.

Coolant appears to be dripping from alongside the AC compressor. It doesn't seem to be coming from the lower radiator hose.

Does the gasket between the oil/water cooler go bad? It seems to be the closest thing that has coolant running through it.

Truck has 290k.

Thanks in advance!

its not seeping out of your thermostat housing or that little bypass hose up by the thermostat towards the top of the motor is it? maybe even a water pump?
thats all i can think of off hand right now garrett

-Josh

yeah mine just did that. I thought that the oil cooler was leaking too, but it was the t-stat gasket. Maybe the HG? I hope not.

Its not the little hose as that one is dry..
It doesn't appear to be the water pump either, and the thermostat was just replaced..

Bobcat698 said:
Its not the little hose as that one is dry..
It doesn't appear to be the water pump either, and the thermostat was just replaced..

if the stat was just replaced, you might be having the same issues as ben did. his stat was leaking when the bolts go into the housing.... take a peak there, otherwise grab a pressure tester and have at it

Oh the headgasket WAS leaking before, but has since stopped. I'll check out the thermostat gasket.

Here is a quote from TDR:
"It's my guess that it could be from the water inlet seal/o-ring. It's behind the A/C pump bracket. For my 98 12v the part number is 3906697"

yeah I saw that over there, I didnt realize there was a gasket back there. Sounds likely though.

It was the water pump weep hole. Should have it fixed tomorrow.

wildmanben said:
did you get the $500 electric one that fits right in the hole?

LOL no I don't think that would be necessary on the tow rig, I'll take the $60 napa lifetime unit any day over that :)

Bobcat698 said:
LOL no I don't think that would be necessary on the tow rig, I'll take the $60 napa lifetime unit any day over that :)

come on garrett, clean off some of that dusty money you got layin around and spend it on something nice.....:ft:

-Josh

That eletric water pump is nice but 500 bucks is a lot of money for a $60 part.

Trapper said:
That eletric water pump is nice but 500 bucks is a lot of money for a $60 part.

Yep! Got them new pump installed. Only 58 and change with tax :)