coolant leaking at high boost WOT?

SPEEDY5_9

The head gasket is brand new (1 week old), I also changed the small hose under the header, which tends to leak over time. The truck leaks coolant ONLY at high boost aka WOT. The leak is on the passenger side. has anyone ever had a similar problem? I think it might be from the coolant tank. I just don't know why. Someone please shed the light!

The truck and engine mod list:
-2006 2500 5.9L 181K tuned by Ryan Milliken
-new head gasket (1 week old) with 625 studs/valve springs/push rods
-fleece coolant bypass
-steed speed manifold gated
-billet s475
-180hp injectors
-11mm stroker pump
-billet intake/heat exchanger delete

Did you do any retorques? Was the head surfaced properly? Sounds like a head gasket problem to me

High rpm with stock mechanical water pump and yeah they will try to push out of the overflow sometimes.

You can pressurize the system to like 20 psi and find the leak! BUT if it is the head gasket only real boost and load will lift the head! What head studs are you using? NOT stock I hope! Also you can Run it with the radiator cap off and watch for bubbles. That will tell you if the head gasket is leaking and WOT is pushing coolant out the overflow bottle.

High rpm with stock mechanical water pump and yeah they will try to push out of the overflow sometimes.

This^^ What are rpms when it is happening? Get the new mopar radiator cap also. I had to drill holes in the T stat to reduce pressure. Some clip the pump.

You can pressurize the system to like 20 psi and find the leak! BUT if it is the head gasket only real boost and load will lift the head! What head studs are you using? NOT stock I hope! Also you can Run it with the radiator cap off and watch for bubbles. That will tell you if the head gasket is leaking and WOT is pushing coolant out the overflow bottle.

SMDH :bang

do you see any spay? if its the gasket there will be spray. Believe me i know i blew 4 head ggaskets

-fleece coolant bypass

That's is a thermostat not pressure relief

so its probably over pressurized because of the high rpms

This^^ What are rpms when it is happening? Get the new mopar radiator cap also. I had to drill holes in the T stat to reduce pressure. Some clip the pump.

I did a pressure test it holds pressure fine. Re torqued the head to be sure, but still throws coolant out the over flow. I also installed a new radiator cap. The truck is running really hard, but I don't like the coolant spray out the over flow. How do I drill holes in the T stat (where is it located)? How do I clip the pump?
I'll take any help I can. I was told it could be a bad block. Is that possible?

I did a pressure test it holds pressure fine. Re torqued the head to be sure, but still throws coolant out the over flow. I also installed a new radiator cap. The truck is running really hard, but I don't like the coolant spray out the over flow. How do I drill holes in the T stat (where is it located)? How do I clip the pump?
I'll take any help I can. I was told it could be a bad block. Is that possible?

It should be under the exiting tube right here.
MISCPICS11044.jpg

You will see some small holes in it with pins already for bypass, but you can drill a couple more 1/8" holes. At least that's what people are talking about.

I don't have experience clipping fins, but to me it sounds like that would not be great for towing. It would lower your low rpm flow.

It should be under the exiting tube right here.
MISCPICS11044.jpg

You will see some small holes in it with pins already for bypass, but you can drill a couple more 1/8" holes. At least that's what people are talking about.

I don't have experience clipping fins, but to me it sounds like that would not be great for towing. It would lower your low rpm flow.

Oh the thermostat. Oh ok yeah I already drilled holes in it. I'm on to the next solution.

For the price of a new water pump try grinding some fins smooth and take it for a drive(think I did 2). Do you see a temp spike when it overflows? Electric water pump is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornelius Rox, is your alternator bolt loose?

And OMG where's your belt!LOL
Nice paint job!! Wish it would stay like that! I spent two days polishing my Stainless exhaust one trip and it was toast!
Did you bottom tap your holes awful lot of thread showing on those head studs!

Last edited:
What water pump do you recommend? Have your ever heard or ran into these symptoms?

Yes, I went with an electric water pump since mine doesn't see much street time at the moment. Plus I was scared about popping the freeze plugs under the valve cover. Try the things runninlean suggested.

dude, is it coming out of the overflow or the radiator cap? can you deduce when its doing it? Like does it look like its spraying ? or dripping.

Cornelius Rox, is your alternator bolt loose?

And OMG where's your belt!LOL
Nice paint job!! Wish it would stay like that! I spent two days polishing my Stainless exhaust one trip and it was toast!
Did you bottom tap your holes awful lot of thread showing on those head studs!

I wish guys! That truck looks clean. I've got a 12V. I just google searched for a picture of a CR with a clean picture of the TStat housing to show OP the location it's in.

Also, how many holes are you guys drilling. I was curious to see what worked, so I bought a cheapo Napa tstat yesterday and drilled four 1/8" holes to see how it'd work. It definitely bypasses too much. I never got above probably ~125F the whole drive into work, even when making some long pulls on the expressway. Maybe I'll buy a couple more and keep playing around with it, or maybe I'll block off the bypass the 12V's have on the side and see if that evens it out a bit.

Back