Copper gasket and Head Flatness

Pony_Kegger

How flat should the head be when using a copper gasket and .105 fire rings with a .30 grove cut in the block. head was flat with in .002 on the short side and .004 long ways. What should the surface finish be like for this gasket. It is a 24v engine.

I fired my engine after rebuild and had oil leaking in to coolant passages and to the outside as well. Used good coating of copper coat on both sides.

Looking for some advice to get my puller going.

Oil channels leaking?
With .105" wire @ ~.015" protrusion - no wonder... even with annealed Cu rings, non-radius receiver grooves & ARP 625+s.

Your head is flat enough - surface Ra depends on exact HG type... since you're using copper coat, standard machine shop 60 should be fine (ignore for elastomer coated gaskets).

Oil channels leaking?
With .105" wire @ ~.015" protrusion - no wonder... even with annealed Cu rings, non-radius receiver grooves & ARP 625+s.

Your head is flat enough - surface Ra depends on exact HG type... since you're using copper coat, standard machine shop 60 should be fine (ignore for elastomer coated gaskets).

Yes oil passages are leaking everywhere. So is .015 too much. I did not understand your post. The grooves have a flat bottom. Should i get some .100 rings made up and try that?

What wire material?
Groove depth consistent?
What HG thickness?
Head bolts/studs?
Bare Cu HG or ???

OK update. Took engine out removed head and found oil pressure had blown threw the copper coat on all the oil passages and turned the copper coat to goo. Surfaced head at a local race shop to a mirror finish on his surface grinder. Flat under .001 anywhere on the head. Reinstalled head with new rings and copper coat and leaked less but still leaked.
How much should the rings be sticking out of the head gasket to seal.
If i have them sticking out the minimum amount and still seal the Cly, it will make the copper gasket fit better and less likely to leak. right?

Clamp load is divided between fire rings for combustion pressure seal & gasket body for fluid seal - reduce one to increase the other... that HG type is a trade-off.

Good luck ever getting copper to hold oil pressure. Haven't tried it in quite a while. If I was going to I'd use Polymeric flange sealant. Agco, IH and Deere all have it, Used to bolt oil filled castings together with no gasket. Purple in color, kind of thick, and tastes good.