Correct operation of lock up switch 47rh

cameronc

Hey guys first post here! I just installed a lock up switch and not really sure if it's operating right. I can start out with the switch on (grounding pin 54) and nothing locks up until 3rd gear which is great and seems to lock sooner in 4th. BUT when I take foot off throttle tranny will unlock. I thought if it was locked it would stay locked unit i open the ground. Seems like i'm getting half of what it supposed to happen. I though with the lock up switch i would be able to lock it up in second and would go through the rest of the gears locked up.

Thank you for the pm Odieub but i can not pm anyone until i have 10 post.
I followed the direction on the tst site and think the relay jumper is for the 96-02 trucks with 47re's..

New question now...do you have to jump the relay for the tranny in 47rh equipped trucks?

I can feel the truck drop a gear like I was down shifting a manual transmission. Kinda sucks driving on the freeway. This is why I wanted to do this in the first place.

If the converter were unlocking on deceleration the truck would coast, not feel like it is still in gear. You will get some engine braking with a lockup switch engaged while off the throttle. It sounds to me like it is working based on your description...

What are you really expecting?

When i'm locked up on the freeway and let off the throttle rpm's go way up like down shifting a manual. Get back into it and shifts into overdrive and then locks up. I thought lock up switch would keep me locked up in od and stay locked up regardless of throttle position. I also thought that I would be able to turn switch on say in second gear and would lock up and shift through the rest of the gears locked. I'm really trying not to be a pita. Thank you

A torque converter lockup switch does simply that. It keeps the converter locked. It does nothing to keep the tranny in the gear you desire it to be in (in this case OD). If you're still running a TPS you might need to adjust it, get a new one or stick a POT on there in place of it (which would probably eliminate most of the desire for a lockup switch).

The valve body will allow lockup in 2nd gear but 2nd gear is typically short enough in most situations that you would probably be into 3rd before the converter locked anyway. There is a slight delay from the point of actuation to the actual engagement of the lockup clutch.

Do yourself a favor and solder that connection. Don't use scotch locks! Not saying you are.

Call us when you break something... that .45 cent part has caused more $hit to break than you can imagine LOL