Cost effective and reliable EGR block-off delte for fleet trucks?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Say a guy has 20+ 6.0 trucks in a fleet and wants to block off the EGR's because they are constantly in the shop costing big $$$ for new EGR coolers etc.

Whats the best way to go about this, these are stock trucks, no performance gains wanted. Will cheap block off plates do it, or does one need to step up to a delete kit with new up-pipe etc? The full delete kit for $880 from FCDP is out of the budget for fleet trucks, but im thinking somewhere around $300-400 might be worth the investment.

Tig weld 5/16" thick stainless plugs in both ends of the egr cooler and install a new egr valve if the old one has failed...truck appears to be stock. ;)

Will this throw codes? I've read that its the 05-07 trucks that have the issue with codes popping up.

you should hit up Doug at GOGO. hell hook you up with what you need, and at a decent price too! he takes your manifold and totally deletes the egr setup, but still leaves the port for the egr valve itself so it still looks stock..

It should also be said that these trucks can not be down for more than one day each being "repaired".

All of the trucks that they have over 100k on them. They are going to have to clean them up I bet.

All of the trucks that they have over 100k on them. They are going to have to clean them up I bet.

I would agree. It would likely be most cost and time effective to pickup an extra intake manifold so a clean one can be kept in rotation to minimize install time.

They are tired of dealing with them. The trucks are out of warranty now so why not get rid of the problem if possible. Those upgraded cooler have a lifetime PARTS warranty, that does not include the labor to replace one, and not to mention they probibally want you to send the bad one in for them to send you a new one, not something a person that makes a living off of his trucks can do. If one is down for more than a day it costs him money, a day even costs him money.

I could remove and install one EGR up-pipe a day EASY using hand tools. If I needed to make it 2 a day I could get done. Put two guys doing this mod on a truck you could get 3 done I bet maybe 4 every day. It ain't rocket science.

Get an up-pipe or two welded up as the floating spare parts. As you pull one pipe off get it modded for the next truck. Be wary of finding the expansion joint cracked...so maybe getting 4 + EGR up-pipes already modded and ready to go would be best along with some extra hardware to account for any stripped or broken mount bolts along the way.

More than likely the '05+ will throw a "Low EGR flow" code. Best solution is tuning to prevent it from affecting performance. I haven't read of anyone running long term EGR deletes most people already run a SCT. It could be an issue but I dont know for sure.

Bill at PHP may be able to assist you with a tuning file that you can load on each truck without having to buy a tuner for each individual truck.

OK, I had to remove a few post in here. First, how many damned people are making egr deletes? For the love of god! None of you that are pimping your EGR delete in this thread are a site sponsor. We have several that sell egr deletes, they paid to advertise here, you didn't. Not cool IMHO. This site exist for your use FOR FREE because of those sponsors.

Some '03-'04 trucks will not throw a code. A simple test, unplugging the EGR valve and driving around, will tell you if it will be an issue. Otherwise you need some sort of PCM tuning that will remove/limit the functionality of the EGR valve. Custom SCT users can have this done easily they just need to ask to have it included in the tuning. I had a SCT tranny only file that I had the EGR function removed so I could use my Quad module. CEL or codes were never thrown using that file or any others I currently use.

They are tired of dealing with them. The trucks are out of warranty now so why not get rid of the problem if possible. Those upgraded cooler have a lifetime PARTS warranty, that does not include the labor to replace one, and not to mention they probibally want you to send the bad one in for them to send you a new one, not something a person that makes a living off of his trucks can do. If one is down for more than a day it costs him money, a day even costs him money.

I was just thinking it would keep them legal in case they have emissions testing. I'd imagine a company breaking the law would get more attention than a individual person doing the same thing. Call and speak with Gene. I'm sure he will bend over backward to help out. I know he was very helpful when I ordered mine.

Have you scanned the trucks to see if the oil coolers are good? I had to change mine when I did my cooler.

if someone was looking to do a fleet of trucks, we wouldn't do retail prices, so if you are interested, let me know and I can see what we could work out.

Also, the $880 includes a $250.00 refundable core fee, for the record.

if someone was looking to do a fleet of trucks, we wouldn't do retail prices, so if you are interested, let me know and I can see what we could work out.

Also, the $880 includes a $250.00 refundable core fee, for the record.

Adam's kit is, by far, the best kit out there :bow:

Pay my way to drive out to Maryland. I will be hauling a truck to drop off at innovative for dyno tuning. You supply me with shop space and common hand tools. I will also need a mig welder. I will do all the labor and have all the truck EGR free for $4000 plus travel expenses. That is $200 per truck plus fuel costs. I will bring 1 guy to help me and we will have then all done in less than five days, probably 3 days. I will supply all parts to "fix" the egr cooler.