couple questions

04strokerdissel

I have a 2004 and am curious on when the split between early and late 04 is considered. did they do the changes mid year or are they more random? looking for my icp sensor and know that early 04 is on the drivers side of the back of the block and late is on the passenger valve cover. I have a sensor on my valve cover but not sure if its the icp. Just purchased the Painless Striker chip to basically hold me over till i am ready to do the sct custom tunes (got the striker for 150 brand new so hard to pass up) and it requires tapping into the oil pressure sensor, boost pressure sensor, and icp sensor. any input?

the 03 and gen1 04 trucks had the ICP sensor on the back of th passenger side under the turbo, not the driver side. the 04 gen2 up to late model 07s have the ICP sensor on the passenger side valve cover.

I would advise against installing a chip that has tap into the oil pressure sender, but thats just me.

yea, wrote that wrong. doesn't actually tap into the oil pressure sensor. there's actually no splicing or anything required. has connectors that just plug in. how do i find out whether my truck is first half or second half of 2004?

I would say start by maybe looking at the build date on the door, or take a quick pick of the pass valve cover and post it here, someone would tell ya. Send the chip back, save the $150 to put towards gauges or something, I think wasted money on this one.

As Mike said, you can look at the build date. But all you have to do is look at the front part of the passenger side manifold and there either is or is not a sensor in the valve cover. Also you can look at the back of the intake manifold, if it looks like this it would probably be a gen1 04

DSC07726Medium.jpg

found it. pass valve cover. thanks guys. as for sending it back, i'm gonna install it and try it out. if it doesn't do anything i can take it back. i mean i do work at the place i purchased it! :) plus we are trying to see if the line is actually worth keeping or not.

Last edited:
Back