Covernor sping kit :3K,4K,5K real rpm's?

AsTroSS

problems start @80 psi
How much maximum rpms engine will make (under the load) after new covernor spring kit install ?

Stock = 2700 rpm (is it correct)
3000rpm Kit = 3400 real rpm
4000rpm Kit = 4400 real rpm
5000rpm Kit= ?
XXXXrpm Kit= ?

Last edited:
AsTroSS said:
How much maximum rpms engine will make (under the load) after new covernor spring kit install ?

Stock = 2700 rpm (is it correct)
3000rpm = ?
4000rpm = ?
5000rpm = ?
XXXXrpm = ?

I believe stock springs start to defuel @ 2250 actually....I know my original 97 fell off about there.

I had no problem turning 3-3500RPM with just a 3K GSK on the street & with trailers.

I have a 4k GSK in my current 97 and I can point the tach needle straight down (4500?) at idle, but when I go down the track with the sled I'm only spinning 3300-3400. However, I have 33" tires & 3.55 gears. Keep in mind you need heavy duty valve springs with these.

5K springs...I couldn't tell ya...but your going to have to install heavy duty valve springs and change them once a year (according to Patty Haisley) along with titanium keepers & retainers. Depending upon how heavy the load is I would guess you could spin 4500RPM with 5K springs.

I can run my engine (under load) up to 3400rpm, it means it have a 4K kit installed?

AsTroSS said:
I can run my engine (under load) up to 3400rpm, it means it have a 4K kit installed?

No either it most likely has a 3K installed, or someone has cranked down the stock springs like was done to my current truck when I got it.

Word of advice I always heard @ 3400+ RPM without HD valve springs will allow valve float which you don't want! ;):badidea:

I have to open my valve cover, maybe ther is allready HD springs. Previous owner have made lots of mods:rockwoot: , now I just have to found out

AsTroSS said:
I have to open my valve cover, maybe ther is allready HD springs. Previous owner have made lots of mods:rockwoot: , now I just have to found out

Unfortunately its not that easy. You can't tell any visable difference between the two.:(

i have a 3gsk on mine and it will only rev under load to 2500rpm the guy that put them in said he didnt want to hurt the stock trans does that mean if i turned them in it would rev higher ?

A 4K kit will full fuel to 4400 if the retainer nut is turned in 6 clicks. It makes the idle rough though.

brandon.

Maybe thats my problem. I have the 4k, I can get to 4k easy, but it seems to only pull hard to abotu 3500. Supppose I should give the nut a few more clicks?

I would guess 2-3 clicks would do it. I would caution going over the stock redline without better valve springs... I'd use Cummins PN# 3916691 for a 12v.

brnadon.

I can turn mine 3300, even in 5th gear. Stock gov springs, stock preload. However, it still defuels hard at like 2600, and takes FOREVER to get to 3300.

Im doing 4K's and springs/dampers next on mine. hopefully that way I dont have to shift into 5th at the big end of the strip....