cp3 help

cummins family

OK so im the new guy, My whole family is cummins drivers. I have been around diesels my whle life ben a equipment operator since the early 80's replaced more injection pumps than I can count, but this one has got me!!! my sons buddy had the cp3 blow out the plugs it was all stock no kit, no one lost the check ball just whent out. so I tell him oh piece of cake we can do it! I have broken three pullers!!!! the timming gear is stuck must have spun and gallded or welded to the shaft any one else ever have this problem? yes I took the nut and washer off first!!!

We had that problem when one of our modded pumps locked up a couple months ago, the engine was running when it locked up tight and the engine came to an abrupt halt (sounded like it hyrdolocked).

Hate to tell ya but we pulled the whole front end apart, timing cover off, pulled threads off of inferior bolts, pulled grade 8 bolts in half after heating them up with the torch and ended up just getting the whole pump gear and shaft glowing red and beating the snot out of it with a mini-sledge until it broke free. Obvious marks of it spin-welding the gear to the shaft, we replaced the pump and gear with new pieces...

thank you Krazeeun that was what I thought I was going to try heat or spray freezing the shaft next but your right the gear is going to need to be replaced too so may as well dive in to the front cover!!! my sons buddy has a freind that owns a shop, had us use his puller cuz its never faild!!! huu it has now!! he think I some sort of idiot and asked if we took the nut off ?? I was like what nut you mean the one that covers the holes you put the puller o I never thought of that. come on!!!

Im cuttin the damm gear off with a die grinder!!!! pulled whole front end wraped everything in rags and stuck 3 magnets around the gear and am chewing at it cant belive its that stuck I tryed another puller after geting the timming cover off and could get a puller on the outside instead of the bolt holes not hapining!!! tryed a little heat and sledge but no luck :nail::bang

Back