CR build advice please.

burdizzo

Hi all,

I haven't posted to much on the forum here. Just prefer to read around and see what other people have done to their trucks in an effort to build mine. I now need some advice.

Truck is an 07 with a 5.9. Mods are: fass 150, dragon fire cp3, T an C wild rail and 30k relief valve, Flux 4 injectors, CAI, AFE intercooler, AFE horn, spoolaid, 2nd gen 3 piece exhaust manifold, SB 66, exhaust, boostfooler, valve springs, pushrods, arp head studs, boostfooler, Diablo Predator, full billet auto, trac bars, ati superdamper and water meth injection.

Truck goes pretty good. Ran a 12.63 at 111mph on 295/75/17 rubber. That was before the rail, intercooler, and damper.

Problem is it still gets pretty warm. Even with the water on it will hit 1600 degrees in the 1/4 mile. I am planning on running efi live in the near future, but what should i do 1st? Should i throw on a 2nd turbo to help cool down the temps? Or a cam? What about a port and polished head? And if I do that, will I need to put aftermarket connecting rods in so she don't blow? Any other suggestions?

I do not tow with the truck. I daily drive it in the summer, and race it now and then. Reliability has always been favorable, and I completely understand that my truck at the stage it is at is not a real "reliable" vehicle. But im still interested in building it to be as reliable as possible.

Thanks,

Matt

1600 on the strip is okay in my book. The 15 seconds of high egt's most times don't hurt you but I agree with ditching the bullet. ED and Fleece have way better options available. Along with a steed speed manifold and possibly a Hamilton Cam. Can't go wrong there

Should I step up to a larger single, like a 71 or 75, or just a different 66 with a billet wheel? Definitely looking at a steed manifold, those look awesome.

And the 1600 degrees is with the new intercooler now installed. Did a "simulated" quarter mile. Measured it out on the hiway and when there was no traffic took the truck for a spin.

I have heard great things about efi live, but will it be able to get me the power I have now and make the truck run cooler? I don't know many guys up here in Alberta using EFI live on a truck with the mods that I have and the Egt's i've got.

I have heard great things about efi live, but will it be able to get me the power I have now and make the truck run cooler? I don't know many guys up here in Alberta using EFI live on a truck with the mods that I have and the Egt's i've got.

Probably.

I know for a fact efi will help your egts. better fuel mapping and control throughout entire rpm range. my buddy runs an E.D. 66 with billet wheel without efi (05' truck) and it helped him out alot over his silver bullet. high 1500's 1600 on track is not a big concern. actually pretty normal for that much fuel i would say. I run twins and can still see that under hard pulls on the track.

Ok that's really good to hear about efi live. Will give that a shot 1st.

At what point do I really need to start worrying about my connecting rods? You hear some guys running stock rods with 900hp, and other guys hit 700 and they blow apart. Or are there a bunch of other variables such as drive pressure being to high or timing?

Like everyone else said ditch the silver bullet and swap to efi live. My setup is pretty similar to yours and still running stock internals making 800+ hp with a fpe 471.

Most say stock rods don't like much more than 800 give or take. The crank can take more but rods will fail first. Alot depends on how often you are operating at that hp level also. if its street driven and turned up at track now and then, I wouldnt be as concerned as if all the motor did was sled pull or drag for its whole life.