CR connecting rods question

07white59

Typical White Person
I used the search and really could find much. I got an 07 5.9 last time I dyno'd I put down 836hp and this was before I got efi and HD cam in. I have a stock bottom end and I know I' am playing with fire. my question is what's the max power 12v rods can handle? I'd to keep the power range I have but just make it safer. will 12v rods hold this or am I better out just buying some after market ones? any info will help a lot. trying to figure out if I should keep the truck or sell it.

as of now I got Hamilton cams 188/220, push rods and spring, 200hp nozzles, ats dual pumps, 64/80mm twins, dtt fully built

12v connecting rods can hold 1000+, and price-wise a good set of 12v rods for maybe 200 bucks or a set of Carrillo rods for I think around 3000 bucks...

buy a set of carrillo's, most times can be had for less then 2500, 12V rods is a waste of time if the stock CR rods are not sufficient.

Lavon

From what I have read the 12v rods in a common rail over a grand is asking for more issues. There just isn't the strength for efficiency of the motors to make power. Couple thread on here of guys pulling balanced shot peened rods out of a that are bent/twisted.

Start saving for big boy parts and order some pretty billet rods.

I'd rather not have a rod bend or break Imo, I'd use a billet rod.

You can make well over 1k on stock CR rods...IF your tuning is setup as such.

3-years of 5500rpm sled pulling. Approx 25-hooks a year.

No plan on rebuild anytime soon.

Am I saying its bulletproof? No, every setup is on borrowed time...even with billet rods.

Tuning can play a MAJOR role in bottom end life.

Bring in the fuel/timing too early in the rpm and yup you'll smoke parts, but allow for peak power to move out and you'll be surprised how well stock parts last.

3-years of 5500rpm sled pulling. Approx 25-hooks a year.

No plan on rebuild anytime soon.

Am I saying its bulletproof? No, every setup is on borrowed time...even with billet rods.

Tuning can play a MAJOR role in bottom end life.

Bring in the fuel/timing too early in the rpm and yup you'll smoke parts, but allow for peak power to move out and you'll be surprised how well stock parts last.

Posts like this make me happy :hehe:

So you're turning 5500rpm, at 1000hp, with stock CR rods, all while sled pulling, for the past 3 years?

So you're turning 5500rpm, at 1000hp, with stock CR rods, all while sled pulling, for the past 3 years?

Not my personal truck, but a truck that is tuned by me..yes.

It's a 3.0 truck out here on the west coast, so nothing like a Mid-West build, but yes.

Started pulling with a 110,000mi engine and bottom end has never been touched.

It leaves the line at 5500 on a limiter and pulls between 48-5100 dorm the track depending on track conditions.

Not my personal truck, but a truck that is tuned by me..yes.

It's a 3.0 truck out here on the west coast, so nothing like a Mid-West build, but yes.

Started pulling with a 110,000mi engine and bottom end has never been touched.

It leaves the line at 5500 on a limiter and pulls between 48-5100 dorm the track depending on track conditions.

Didn't think the bars opened that early out your way....:Cheer: :lolly:

Comments like this are of no concern.

OP...do as you wish.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I've seen trucks out here with stock bottom ends lay down close to 1000rwhp, they just tend not to last long.
I would however like to see video of whenever said motor decides to chuck it's innards, should be one nice 'splosion!

Not sure if you have EFI Live, if you do talk to your tuner about how they feel when it comes to making big power on stock rods. A lot can be done in the tuning to keep the rods fairly happy, but what's the fun of a diesel if you do away with the massive low rpm torque they can make.

IMO on a 5.9...

12v rods cryoed, peened, and polished for under 1300hp

billet above 1300hp

Billet rods are a fairly new addition to being readily available, don't forget we have been making well over 1000hp on 12v rods for a long time before these billets were common. $.02

Most guys asking the "will my bottom end be good to xxxx" questions are the ones who already know they are playing with fire, also the same guys willing to put in the labor to change out their rods for even a small benefit. a few hundred bucks later and 12V rods are a decent upgrade.

Back