CR Head on 97 block

little6cylinder

Everything is "fixable"
I'm getting pretty close to finishing up my 24 valve head swap on my 97 block and I was wondering if I need to do any grinding on the cooling passages to get them perfect. I was also looking at using a VP truck head gasket and just cutting it out slightly for the CR head. I've seen a couple threads on 24 valve heads on older blocks but couldn't find anything that would answer my question. Thanks in advance, John

ur using a p pump right? The gov. housing on the ppump will hit the intake on a cr head. u can cut the intake off and get an intake from zz customs or another place.

It's a fully ported, big valve head with the side cut off. I'm in the process of building a stainless side entrance manifold for it.

I think that i would compare a 12v head gasket to a cr head gasket to see what the differences are.
sounds like a cool build

You'll probably have better luck with a 12v gasket, they seem to fit everything better. That's also what most 3rd gen guys use when they go to o-rings, after they cut a few new steam holes. You might even be able to buy a 12v gasket cut of a 3rd gen then you could just throw it on.

I have a cr head on a 96 block using vp gaskets and have blown 2 out at the coolant ports.... still no fix yet... may just be me tho

Thanks, I'll try the 12 valve gasket cut for a CR. M.bcustom did you cut your vp gasket for the CR head? They are different and I put a vp gasket on a buddy's o-ringed common rail and I just cut out the gasket a little around 2 cooling ports and had to drill an 1/8" hole in the gasket where it was totally blocked on the vp gasket. I just matched it up with the CR gasket that came off. His runs good and hasn't leaked/blown. If you didn't do that my money's on that being your problem.

Back