CR Motor Questions

Sloverado

Cheat To Win
What is the piston protrusion on an 05 Stock motor. Also how thick is the MLS gasket when sucked down? I am looking at pistons and would like to figure this stuff out to see what I need to go. I will oring the head so not sure if you can use stock MLS gasket on it. Any info that can be shed would be great.

About .012 proud, thicker mls .045 thinner mls .040 (two come in the kit).

Don't think anyone is using the mls with orings, its not round for one. Not sure if the oring would work well with the layers.

I've had great luck with just the mls and 625's no orings.

I have my head o'ringed at .009 protrusion, using a 12 valve head gasket that has been modified to fit. It works great!

O-ring wire size & protrusion, gasket thickness (12V is best) and head bolt/stud type (potential clamp load) have to be properly matched so coolant, oil & combustion pressure are contained.

I would not use an MLS with O-rings.

protrusion can be as much as .020"

Do you see any problems with .020 protrusion, and using the thicker of the two gaskets that come in the top end gasket kit?

How much clearance does that leave between the injector nozzle and the piston?

This is on an 04.

Do you see any problems with .020 protrusion, and using the thicker of the two gaskets that come in the top end gasket kit?

How much clearance does that leave between the injector nozzle and the piston?

This is on an 04.

Piston Protrusion

mm/ in
0.151 MIN 0.006
0.485 MAX 0.019

Injector Protrusion

mm/ in
2.45 MIN 0.096
3.15 MAX 0.124

Head Gasket Determination

Average Piston Protrusion / Head Gasket Grade
>= 0.30 mm [0.012 in] / Thick (B)
< 0.30 mm [0.012 in] / Thin (A)

Piston Protrusion

mm/ in
0.151 MIN 0.006
0.485 MAX 0.019

Injector Protrusion

mm/ in
2.45 MIN 0.096
3.15 MAX 0.124

Head Gasket Determination

Average Piston Protrusion / Head Gasket Grade
>= 0.30 mm [0.012 in] / Thick (B)
< 0.30 mm [0.012 in] / Thin (A)

EXCELLENT WORK! Thanks.

How much should I expect either of the gaskets to compress-- .005, .010?

Do thicker injector washers exist for common rail injectors?

Thanks.

-jp

I've heard of the nozzle being moved down on the injector body but, You'd have issues with the thicker washer and seating the connector tube.

I think Don mentioned to me once about some thicker washers, can go a little thicker just not alot before it messes with the cross tube.